Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-06-2008, 17:11   #61
stevetee
Regular Poster

Default MRUG (Monasterevin Rail Users Group) Meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetee View Post
Jimbo,

In case you still check in to this forum - and my apologies for forgetting about you - there is a meeting planned to kick off a Monasterevin Rail Users Group in Mooneys at 8pm tonight(27-05-08). I've failed badly on the publicity front this time so I'll make sure to get word up here earlier next time.

If you (or anyone reading this) can make it tonight, please do. We need as many concerned citizens involved as possible.

Steve
HI..Promised better advance publicity for the next meeting.

So here its is

MRUG meeting #3 in Mooneys Snug, Main St, Monasterevin
Time: 8pm
Date: June 24th.

Mailing list: mrug08@gmail.com

If you can identify yourself as one (or more) of the following, we need your support

• a regular train commuter who lives in or close to Monasterevin but who is obliged to drive to Kildare or Portarlington to use the train service
• a regular commuter to a location within reach of train station along the Kildare Route
• a supporter of transport choice /greener transport options
• interested in raising the profile of Monasterevins commuters to Iarnrod Eireann/Government
• shopper/sports fan/student who would use weekend train services if there were any.

Please come along and lend your support to the cause.

MRUG 2008
stevetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-06-2008, 12:24   #62
Stephen O'Leary
New to the board

Can you give a contact email address
Stephen O'Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-07-2008, 16:51   #63
stevetee
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen O'Leary View Post
Can you give a contact email address
Hi Stephen,

mrug08@gmail.com is the groups mailing list address.

If you want to talk to me personally, please sent me a private message through this forum.

Steve
Unread 01-08-2008, 10:24   #64
stevetee
Regular Poster

Default Monasterevin Rail Users Group

Hi,

For anyone interested the state of play with the train services at Monasterevin train station, there is a further meeting of MRUG in Mooneys Bar @ 8pm August 12th.

We now have a provisional committee, we have set some goals and are now ready to meet with IE to present our case for improving the service beyond its current abysmal state.

Please come and lend your support. Its important.

Regards,

Steve

PS I will endeavour to flag our meetings on this thread as they come up so stay tuned.
Unread 12-08-2008, 10:33   #65
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Just to confirm this meeting is going ahead tonight
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-11-2008, 12:36   #66
stevetee
Regular Poster

Default Minutes of MRUG meeting with IE Monday 10th November

Minutes of meeting at Heuston 5.45pm

Attendees: Claire Blennerhasset, Brendan Dunne, Steve Tee ( all MRUG) , Myles McHugh (IE)

MRUG felt the meeting between Myles McHugh (MMc) on behalf of IE and MRUG was productive

Main points raised and discussed:

(1) there is no threat to the current timetable. The current service will stay as is and reports of a station closure are unfounded.

(2) MMc agreed the gaps in the timetable for Monasterevin are glaringly obvious and require addressing within planning restrictions.

(3) the new 10.00pm service was acknowledged by MRUG as a welcome start. This set a positive tone for the rest of meeting.

(4) Other proposed service changes

- a third peak time service from Euston in the evening is a definite possibility (possibly the 18.35 Thurles train )

- the off peak every 2hrs (even) was discussed in the context of the Portlaoise depot. IE havent yet got the full complement of new trains in service but the odds are stacked in our favour for additional off peak stopping services given (1) the delay in issuing the new 2009 timetable and (2) the continued roll out and subsequent demand for servicing of all new trains at Portlaoise.

(5) MMc to arrange a visit to Monasterevin station with the area manager (Portlaoise) to inspect the station. MRUG brought up some of the main issues - lifts not working, no indication of when station is manned/unmanned, ticket machine, state of waiting areas, general inhospitable atmosphere at station and proposed that IE/MRUG partner to maintain the station. Myles will get back to MRUG with his findings in due course.

(5) Didnt discuss weekend services.

(6) Didnt mention the state of the car parking which we feel should be free to attract people back to using the station.

(7) We also mentioned the KCC Town plan that includes better signage indicating location of train station, better access indications from all points in the town via bicycle paths, footpaths etc. It is MRUGs position that a relaunch of the train station is required once we have some concrete improvements (new evening service notwithstanding) to underpin a relaunch. (Dropping the car parking charges would help us promote the use of the services big time.)

MMc broadly welcomed the arrival of a new Users Group to the fold and said that it was really the only way to focus on issues affecting customers at coal face. He looked forward to meeting us again in due course.

MRUG awaiting IEs feedback on all of the above issues.

Steve

PS (left this one off the original document)

One I forgot to put into the minutes was the 21.00 service heading up to Dublin from Thurles. Weve asked IE to consider adding Monasterevin to the list of stops for this service as well. It will allow anyone travelling from Cork to alight at Portarlington, catch the 21.00 from Thurles and get off at Monasterevin 5 minutes later. It will then be possible to travel from Monasterevin to Cork and back in a single day ( should you so desire).

Last edited by stevetee : 14-11-2008 at 12:48.
Unread 04-12-2008, 00:13   #67
stevetee
Regular Poster

Default If these, why not these ?

Hi,

Took a walk around a deserted Monasterevin station last Saturday morning.

Changes noted to the general environment were:

* multiple large signs warning customers about the new car parking arrangements

* a phone number to call in the event of my car being clamped (funny how clamping recovery information is always made crystal clear while the information we really want is buried beneath the feckin tarmac)

* a bright blue "Have You Paid And Displayed ?" Oh and a brand spankin new machine for dispensing parking tickets (no cards accepted mind you). See attachments for pix.

So if we can have all of the above, why not the issues mentioned below (some already put to IE at last MRUG-IE meeting):

* if IE can stick a new parking meter into this shamedly underused train station, whats stopping them sticking in a ticket machine ? Someone is assumedly going round collecting the parking dosh so why not get same people to collect ticket money too ?

* if IE can put up new signs warning people to pay their parking fees, where to contact the clampers etc. surely a sign indicating when the station is manned and a proper time table in place of the current weather-beaten paper notice could also be put up. Also some signs out on the road telling people where the station is located as it seems to have disppeared off Planet Signage altogether.

* IE temporarily cease charging people to park at Monasterevin to encourage them back to using the station again especially if we get our additional trains in March 2009.

* Took picture of the waiting areas that do not have any sides. The station is built on a raised platform of earth and concrete looking down over the town so it is very exposed on wet and windy days.

Havent heard any feedback for numbers on the new 22.00pm service. Be good to get something written up on the forum.

Steve

Name:  Image031.jpg
Views: 2176
Size:  67.0 KB

Name:  Image030.jpg
Views: 2292
Size:  105.6 KB

Name:  Image029.jpg
Views: 2323
Size:  144.9 KB
Unread 04-12-2008, 15:11   #68
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

I don't know if there's a need for road signs; there's a huge elevated IÉ symbol out the front that should be visible around the area
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 22:22   #69
Sealink

Monasterevin is mentioned in the latest 'Modern Railways' magazine. It's in a comparison with the UK's first modular station, and it comes out rather well.
Sealink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2009, 22:49   #70
stevetee
Regular Poster

Default MRUG update for Monasterevin commuters

Hi,

FAO MRUG Committee, RUI etc.

Minutes of 2nd meeting with IE/Myles McHugh:

* New timetable due end of September 2009.

* Timetable changes announced :

Monasterevan To Dublin:

6.36*am (changed from 6.44am) Mon-Fri
7.05am M-Sat
7.35*am (changed from 7.39am) M-F
8.00*am (changed from 8.01am) M-S
19.47pm (changed from 19.46pm) M-F
22.45pm ----> ( new, from Portlaoise).

Dublin to Monasterevan:

6.15am M-S
9.15am (new) M-S
10.15am (new) M-S

17.10pm M-S
18.05pm M-F
18.40pm -----> Thurles train (new) M-S
21.10pm ----> brand new service (all stops to Portarlington) (new) M-S

22.10pm (changed from 22.15pm) M-S

Steve Tee (on behalf of MRUG)
Unread 05-08-2009, 12:57   #71
Jimbo
New to the board

Good work Steve Tee,

I no longer commute from Monasterevin to Dublin but am impressed that the timetable is no more realistic where before it was really a joke.

Keep up the good work
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 16:14   #72
stevetee
Regular Poster

Default Promised timetable changes for September 2009 deferred indefinitely

Quote:
Hi,

FAO MRUG Committee, RUI etc.

Minutes of 2nd meeting with IE/Myles McHugh:

* New timetable due end of September 2009.

* Timetable changes announced :

Monasterevan To Dublin:

6.36*am (changed from 6.44am) Mon-Fri
7.05am M-Sat
7.35*am (changed from 7.39am) M-F
8.00*am (changed from 8.01am) M-S
19.47pm (changed from 19.46pm) M-F
22.45pm ----> ( new, from Portlaoise).

Dublin to Monasterevan:

6.15am M-S
9.15am (new) M-S
10.15am (new) M-S

17.10pm M-S
18.05pm M-F
18.40pm -----> Thurles train (new) M-S
21.10pm ----> brand new service (all stops to Portarlington) (new) M-S

22.10pm (changed from 22.15pm) M-S

Steve Tee (on behalf of MRUG)
I have just been informed that all of the promised October 2009/2010 Monasterevin timetable changes have been deferred indefinitely due to ECONOMIC CIRCUMSTANCES.

Go figure that one out.

Steve (_really_ pissed off )
Unread 10-11-2009, 15:51   #73
stevetee
Regular Poster

Default Monasterevin timetable upgrade deferrals until ????

Quote:
I have just been informed that all of the promised October 2009/2010 Monasterevin timetable changes have been deferred indefinitely due to ECONOMIC CIRCUMSTANCES.
Hi Mark,

Read through the recent forum postings regarding the KRP - new track(s) coming online, Autumn 2010 timetable targets etc, and I have a question reqarding the October 2009 timetable. Were all changes to the latter deferred indefinitely for economic reasons ? MRUG are wholly disheartened by the news that the modest additions to our timetable promised by IE @ a meeting in July 2009 have been deferred indefinitely due to economic circumstance, a statement I still cant get my head around.

If we're talking a general IE deferral of all timetable changes until Autumn 2010 due to the KRP then why didnt IE just say so ? If on the other hand, its a case of situation normal EXCEPT @ Monasterevin, I think MRUG are going to have to fight harder to reinstate the changes we squeezed from IE.

Any feedback appreciated.

Steve
Unread 20-03-2010, 21:50   #74
stevetee
Regular Poster

Quote:
If we're talking a general IE deferral of all timetable changes until Autumn 2010 due to the KRP then why didnt IE just say so ? If on the other hand, its a case of situation normal EXCEPT @ Monasterevin, I think MRUG are going to have to fight harder to reinstate the changes we squeezed from IE.

Any suggestions on maximising the possibility of the above tt changes making it into a post-KRP timetable 2010 ?

Steve
Unread 18-10-2010, 17:44   #75
areidy
New to the board

Default later train

Any one know of there are any plans for a train between the 6.40 and 10.10pm services?

Thanks
Aish
areidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-10-2010, 15:37   #76
stevetee
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by areidy View Post
Any one know of there are any plans for a train between the 6.40 and 10.10pm services?

Thanks
Aish
Hi Aish,

MRUG agreed a set of "assured timetable changes" with IE, including 2 additional services between 6.40 (presume you mean the evening) and 10.10pm, before the "recession" kicked in as a result of which all timetable modifications were canned. I didnt see the connection at the time and I still dont but its some combination of massive customer numbers drop, the Kildare Route Project and another unquantifiable substance IE tend to sprinkle on any process involving change. MRUG have heard nothing back from IE since so I cant give you any assurances when or even if we will see additional services in our timetable.

That said, and as you will read on other postings to this forum, the Kildare Route Project put a kibosh on all timetable changes last year and the indicators are the new tracks will lead to significant timetable alterations. Whether those timetable changes have a direct impact on Monasterevins train service remains to be seen.

Steve (on behalf of MRUG)
Unread 27-10-2010, 07:36   #77
areidy
New to the board

thanks stevee. Fingers crossed when the Kildare Route Project is finished we could get another train in the evening. I hate the thought of having to go to Kildare for an evening train!!

Aish
areidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-01-2011, 10:23   #78
stevetee
Regular Poster

Default User Group Consultation

Hi,

Just noticed the new initiative by Iarnrod Eireann to involve customers in a new timetable consultation process. We've definitely been here before but any port in a storm as they say.

Does anyone know how this is going to work as far as the existing Rail User Groups are concerned ?

Steve
Unread 18-01-2011, 10:31   #79
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

In typical Irish Rail fashion some groups got an email from Irish Rail some did not

If you didn't it means you are seen as trouble (i.e. fighting for passengers and wont take usual Irish Rail cover stories and know us) If you got an email its probably because you buy the Irish Rail line

Can produce a case to get the 23:10 to Kildare extended to Portlaoise in a way as to save Irish Rail money
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 17:50   #80
stevetee
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
In typical Irish Rail fashion some groups got an email from Irish Rail some did not

If you didn't it means you are seen as trouble (i.e. fighting for passengers and wont take usual Irish Rail cover stories and know us) If you got an email its probably because you buy the Irish Rail line

Can produce a case to get the 23:10 to Kildare extended to Portlaoise in a way as to save Irish Rail money

We got the invite ok and submitted the same set of changes MRUG agreed with IE end of 2009. We're going round in circles at this stage but better than standing still.