Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Sligo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 19-09-2013, 12:55   #1
Via Cortober
New to the board

Default Delay & Ticket buying

I usually take the car to Dublin. But then, occasionally, I have a cranial disturbance of some kind and decide to get the train from Carrick-on-Shannon to Connolly.

I try to book online, thinking that a day-return would be a bit cheaper if purchased that way. But nope, it's €3 more expensive, and I'm not sure that I can collect a ticket at Carrick-on-Shannon when it's been bought online. There is no ticket vending machine there... still, after it was promised two years ago. No update on the discussion here.

So, to be sure to be sure I buy it at the station (€30.50) and the off-peak journey up to Dublin is fine.

When I arrive at Connolly for the return leg on the 19.05 Dublin-Sligo train there's something amiss because the station announcer is apologising for having to re-direct passengers to Platform 3 because, I gather (rather than 'hear'), the train's arrival has been delayed by the late arrival of another train.

Eventually our train appears close to 7pm and we all get on board. And wait. And wait. And wait. And then there's an apology for the delayed departure due to a train having broken down on the line between Enfield and Mullingar.

This line is repeated several times and passengers travelling to Maynooth are advised to do a bunk and catch a commuter train on platform 7.

Then we get an announcement that services are suspended on the Dublin-Sligo line until further notice. However, we are to remain in our seats. This is repeated a few times and then a member of staff goes through the train checking our individual destinations, in case, I presume, that a bus has to be mustered from somewhere.

These announcements continue... "Iarnród Éireann would like to apologise..." etc... until, without much fanfare, we're told that the train will shortly depart. Which it does at 20.10pm. I arrived at Carrick-on-Shannon at 22.34, an hour and thirteen minutes late.

Any chance I can get my money back from IÉ?
Via Cortober is offline   Reply With Quote