Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 29-06-2016, 07:23   #21
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If Irish Rail wasn't so deep in debt thanks to being lumped with the entire CIE debt in 1987 it could have simply done a joint venture with DAA and got the cash it needs commercially.

DAA has no trouble raising funding and the EU would throw in a few quid. Thats how Heathrow express came into being, BAA own it
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-06-2016, 08:06   #22
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypusparcel View Post
Shane Ross and Alan Farrell (in the Dail) just told Irish Rail to butt out of trying to decide the airport link route and to concentrate on "driving their trains"

https://oireachtas.heanet.ie/mp4/dai...959.000002.mp4

timestamp 43:50 for the start

timestamp 55:10 for the snarky remarks
That's a bit rich from both of them.

Neither public transport professionals, and don't want to hear what public transport operators have to say, and instead it would seem, rely on civil servants.

Hardly a good attitude - I would think it perfectly appropriate for the transport operators to put forward suggestions and not have them commented upon like that by politicians.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-06-2016, 09:11   #23
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

berneyarms

Suggistions are not the issue, it has already been ruled out so why hash it out again. I could take it seriously if the spur was suitable and there was the capaciy but there sinply is no way to operate an Intercity and High Capacity Commuter service on a single line in each direction.

I could also take then seriously if they were honest about the real investment thats needed to deliver the service that passengers need and not for their self interest.

If anything a metro could cause significant damage to IE as I think a lot of people in North Dublin/Louth even in the North could turn away from the slow trains and drive to a Swords P&R as be honest in 10 years trains will be a lot slower than today!

IE have so much to gain here and the passenger has nothing. Not the way it should be.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 29-06-2016 at 09:20.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-06-2016, 14:27   #24
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Irish Rail are peddling a nonsense in proposing a DART spur from Clongriffin to the Airport. The Belfast line in it's present form is hopelessly congested and would not be able to host an Airport service of sufficient quality to attract business.

Given the mess made of other services in order to run a ten minute DART one can only imagine the effect of an Airport DART service.

Ross and Co are right, although probably not for the right reason. Anyhow as has been said so many times before serving the airport is only a small element of Metro North. Given the LUAS experience I am not sure that smaller trains and shorter platforms is a very intelligent way to progress Metro North.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-06-2016, 15:42   #25
James Shields

The only way it would be practical for IE to run an airport spur would be if it was in combination with building the Interconnector and 4-tracking the relevant bits of the northern line.

I think Malahide to Killester is eminently feasible (though would require quite a bit of CPOing around Kilbarick). However, Fairview to Docklands would be highly problematic. I was thinking one solution would be to extend the northern end of the Interconnector under East Wall and Clontarf and have the tunnels emerge on the edge of Clontarf Golf Course. That way you could have a station actually serving East Point and do away with the ridiculous shuttle bus.

Of course it will never happen, but since that's the subject of this thread, I thought this would be a good place to bring up the idea.

James
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-06-2016, 16:49   #26
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

In making the comment above I was speaking in general terms rather than this specific proposal.

I certainly think it perfectly reasonable for IE or any other state body or semi-state company to make investment proposals.

To suggest, as both politicians did last night that they shouldn't, and that they should "leave it to the policy makers", would worry me a lot.
Unread 29-06-2016, 16:55   #27
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

I don't think full four tracking will happen due to space constraints, but it certainly could happen after Clontarf Road and the far side of Raheny - that would allow for overtaking, along with the installation of an up passing loop at Clongriffin.

I'd agree - the airport spur would need the above to happen first.
Unread 29-06-2016, 17:28   #28
Jamie2k9

Quote:
I don't think full four tracking will happen due to space constraints, but it certainly could happen after Clontarf Road and the far side of Raheny - that would allow for overtaking, along with the installation of an up passing loop at Clongriffin.

I'd agree - the airport spur would need the above to happen first.
I don't either, well without underground sections.

What could happen and at reasonable cost is a third track between Clontarf and Howth Junction (as much of the route as possible) and operated in a single direction at peak hours and however IE like outside of it. The signalling would not be an issue and it would deliver a remarkable difference in service to people outside of the DART line and allow 10 minute DART service while cutting times for diesel commuter service. Could even cut costs by not electrifying the third track immediately.

I don't travel the route a lot but allowing Commuter and Enterprise get up to speeds for 70-80 after Clontarf Rd would surly cut at least 5 minutes if not more at peak hours....all they get is Danger signals today!

Lots of solutions but I'm not sure who is worse IE or the NTA for complete lack of planning on this route.
Unread 29-06-2016, 20:36   #29
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

The current timetable sees some Belast trains taking up to 45 minutes to reach Drogheda, a journey which only a few years ago was scheduled in 27 minutes, so a lot of time to be gained by a combination of timetabling and flexible and functional track layouts.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-07-2016, 16:59   #30
Jamie2k9

http://www.newstalk.com/OPINION:-Bui...assive-mistake

What do we think?, he makes one or two good points on what should be built instead of MN.
Unread 22-07-2016, 10:00   #31
James Shields

An interesting argument.

I agree that the Interconnector should be higher priority than Metro North, however I don't agree that it has to be an either/or.

I think Dublin needs a solution to its transport problems as soon as possible. Both projects are planned and ready, and while it might take a little time to get them back on track, delivery is likely to be 2-5 years quicker than any alternative.

The total cost of around 5 billion would be over a number of years, and I don't think Ireland would have a problem raising that sort of money for major capital projects. There would be significant savings in both disruption and money to building the Stephen's green station as a single entity, which can only be done if both projects are on the table, even if one is a couple of years behind the other.

James
Unread 09-09-2018, 09:22   #32
Goods
Regular Poster

Was at the Airport recently it gets worse by the day with a cluster of buses lined up outside terminal 1 and on an inner road the taxi access road getting preferential treatment. Further out the high rise car parks continue to go up, these are the Airport cash cows! On either side of the Airport you have the sligo line and the Clongriffin line withinin striking distance which could have been easily connected with the Airport by a branch line when M50 was being built.
Plans are in place to expand passenger numbers at the airport but without an efficient modern train or tram link it is really a poor image for anyone arriving in a 21century European capital.
Car lobby groups 3 - public transport group 0
Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-09-2018, 06:37   #33
Goods
Regular Poster

Default airport growing without rail

https://www.independent.ie/business/...-37310528.html
The airport is bigger than many towns and much busier than most with plans to enlarge. Despite the flow of people including workers there is still no rail option being developed. The car park business has a firm grip on the decision makers we must be one of the few airports in Europe of this size that does not have a rail connection despite nearby rail line that could have been linked.
Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-03-2019, 17:36   #34
James Shields

Complete apathy here to updated Metro plan?