Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 21-03-2018, 19:53   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default Metro (insert favorite name here) is coming again

Looks like another PR gig tomorrow in Dublin

Despite having a route, planning permission, we are going to drop all that and start again.

Usual talk of 60m platforms, as always living in the current and not the future
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-03-2018, 21:33   #2
James Shields

It's all about appearing to do something without ever doing anything, isn't it? I don't believe the current government has any intention of ever building Metro.

I hope one day we'll have a government that see mass transit as essential to the future of the city.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-03-2018, 09:35   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

What we know of the Metrolink www.metrolink.ie (yes the website is legit and owned by the NTA) engineering wise won't work...

Its basically the original Metro plan which as we all know had to be radically redone to actually work so we basically shredded everything and are starting fresh again.
Unread 23-03-2018, 00:23   #4
essoII
Regular Poster

Massive interchange at Glasnevin between MetroLink and the two IR lines seems like a good idea.

Is ridiculous that it was totally redesigned. Here's to three years in the planning black hole.
essoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-03-2018, 10:03   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Great idea, but it was ruled out last time around.

The drawings do not show an Irish Rail station
Unread 23-03-2018, 12:19   #6
James Shields

I think the idea of an interchange station at Whitworth (presumably they can't call it Phibsborough because the name is already taken by the Green Line) is the one good part of this plan.

Any idea why it was ruled out the last time?
Unread 23-03-2018, 13:02   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Engineering said no last time

Its possible, of course given the money

The arrival of the Phoenix Park tunnel service has added a spanner into the system as to meet the future demand the Midland line will need to take a lot more trains so you need 4 platforms
Unread 30-03-2018, 13:34   #8
tom1ie
New to the board

Hi all
Haven't posted here in a long time but here goes, what do you guys think of the constant negativity in the media regarding metrolink, personified by the prime time report from na fianna HQ last night (Thursday)?

Is there anything that can/should be done to try and put a positive spin in the media on this. Maybe start a campaign?
Berate the green party for being very quiet on this so far? What do u guys think?
tom1ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-03-2018, 18:09   #9
James Shields

I'm torn on this.

I think the Ireland 2040 project lacks ambition for the main development plan for the country for the next 22 years. It leaves out a number of key projects such as DART Underground, and I fear will leave the country in a position where it is far too reliant on private single occupancy road transport for another generation. With projected population increases, it's hard to imagine what congestion in our capital will be like in 2040.

The Metro is obviously just one part of that plan. On the surface it seems a welcome inclusion, but there are a number of aspects of the project that give me cause for concern.

Primary among these is the Sandyford leg of the route, and the resultant disenfranchisement of the Green Luas Line. While I agree with Metro continuing into the south city, I feel that taking over the Green Line is the wrong way to do this. First of all, because the original embankment of this route was removed, introducing many road crossings, I question whether the line has the capacity for 2 minute frequencies promised by Metro. Second, requiring multiple changes for existing users of the Green line punishes users, many of whom waited for decades for the line to arrive or moved into housing to suit their work commutes.

Instead, I feel Metro should continue to the south city on a new alignment, carrying on underground to a suitable overground terminus.

So the question for me is should we accept an imperfect route and embrace and campaign for, in fear that the alternative would be nothing at all?

Or should we point out the failings of this route, and other failings in the Ireland 2040 plan, and campaign for a plan with more ambition that will start to move the country away from its dependence on private cars?