Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-01-2007, 11:30   #1
MrX
Really Regular Poster

I had a similar experience at a totally empty Sandymount Station late one night. Can't remember the date, but I assumed I was about to be attacked. A guy with no uniform approached me with a really strong accent demanding my ticket. I thought he was looking for my wallet and legged it.

Never even assumed he was from IE ! To this day assumed he was some chancer trying to grab my wallet as there'd been a few incidents like that in England.

I'm a big guy, but if someone who has no uniform, looks and sounds threatening with an accent that I cannot understand approaches me in a dark corridor demanding stuff he can hardly expect to get a pleasant or cooperative response. In fact, there'd be plenty of people who'd react extremely badly.

How's a tourist or foreign resident likely to react? I know plenty of people in the US would would pepper spray someone who did that!

I also remember an incident in Cork a few years ago where a ticket inspector made my then 82 year old grandmother rummage through her luggage as she had her printed ticket from the ticket desk, but he wanted to see her OAP travel pass. She doesn't look like a 55 year old trying to pretend they're 65 and she had serious difficultly rummaging through her luggage. She couldn't remember where she'd put the pass. She gave him a serious telling off and boarded anyway, threatening to call the station master.

And yes, I have never understood why the Dining car / snack car *always* closes on the Cork train (complete with announcement) 1 stop before the final destination. Nor how they can randomly have one level of service on one train and an entirely different level of service on the next e.g. no food at all, yet charge the same price for a ticket.

Last edited by MrX : 05-01-2007 at 11:40.
MrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 11:51   #2
Dave
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
I know plenty of people in the US would would pepper spray someone who did that!

I think you've just unearthed a way to improve IE staff's level of customer service - pepper spray them if they are rude and unhelpful.

We should start production of Platform 11 Pepper Spay bottles ASAP with the new P11 logo displayed prominently on the bottle. We can distribute these to passengers in train stations accross the country and encourage them to use it on rude staff!

It's a good idea - shame we live in a democracy

Last edited by Dave : 05-01-2007 at 11:53.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 12:50   #3
Nigel Fitzgricer
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
And yes, I have never understood why the Dining car / snack car *always* closes on the Cork train (complete with announcement) 1 stop before the final destination. Nor how they can randomly have one level of service on one train and an entirely different level of service on the next e.g. no food at all, yet charge the same price for a ticket.
It wasn't like this in prior to when Network Catering was taken over by CIE and filled with union staff. The company was profitable as well.