Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Sligo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 27-02-2014, 11:49   #1
AD11
New to the board

It's ridiculous really. The 7.26 (from Mullingar) arrived there today at 7.45 as they announced it would be on the tannoy, but then got to Connolly at 8.53 only a few minutes later than the actual timetable, while other days it's arrived in Dublin much later than that.

It does go to show that the journey time is regularly much longer than it actually should be and they can make up time i.e. go faster when they really need to.
Unread 27-02-2014, 11:59   #2
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

I travel from Edgeworthstown and I've given up on that train since it was 40 minutes late one morning last week. But it is also able to catch up close to 10 minutes between Edgeworthstown and Mullingar.

I've sent them a "customer feedback" note to register my complaint but I can't see it making any difference. I've asked their twitter feed about a temporary timetable a few times now, but they aren't responding so I've obviously pissed them off at some stage so that they ignore me - never mind that I contribute 4 grand a year to their bottom line. They told somebody on Tuesday that 7:26 from Mullingar would be departing on schedule on Wednesday morning.

If I had to guess, they aren't doing a temporary timetable because their on-time performance would be judged against the main timetable and they are leaving themselves the flexibility to try to catch up.

They have hidden the contact link on the new website pretty effectively. Took me a few minutes to find it.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-02-2014, 12:57   #3
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

While I totally agree with you on the timetable issue or lack of one, to suggest that the "Contact us" is hidden is a bit much.

Most companies put it towards the bottom or top of the homepage.

Simply scrolling down towards the bottom of the homepage reveals a direct link to "Contact Us".
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-02-2014, 13:45   #4
James Howard

Out of about 80 links on the page, it is the second last one on the page and in the second smallest point size. Most companies interested in hearing from their customers would put it somewhere a bit more prominent. There is plenty of space between the Irish Rail logo and the "My Account" icon. By comparison, Bus Eireann have an "about us" page where the second item in the list is contact us.

Anyway, I got a very fast response to my feedback but unfortunately, it was a stock response to a completely different question - mainly because there wasn't an option for "Delayed Train" or "other" in the "nature of feedback" dropdown, so I got the answer for "Train Facilities" which I figured was the closest option from Cleanliness, Did not get my Seat, Catering, Train Facilities, Station Facilitites & Onboard Information and Announcements.

A colleague took the 0545 this morning from Mullingar and had to stand the whole way as it was a commuter train.
Unread 27-02-2014, 16:29   #5
AD11
New to the board

I had the 'pleasure' of sitting opposite a lady who had pre-booked her seat on the 19.05 Sligo service yesterday evening. She moaned solidly for about 15 minutes and I reckon she uses the train three or four times a year.

Imagine how we feel being on it every day!!!

She didnt take too kindly to my suggestion that they scrap pre booking altogether seeing as seats are so scarce and if they ever put a name up over my head - after I have taken the seat checking there was no name flashing above - they could whistle for their so called pre booked seat!

I had moved away from some inebriated (at best) passengers in another carriage but I might have been better off staying where I was
Unread 27-02-2014, 16:58   #6
James Howard

I agree that something needs to happen about pre-booked seats. On the 1705 on Tuesday, they didn't start the engine until close to 1700 so we were sitting in complete darkness with no bookings indicated on a packed train. Then it all lit up and much cursing ensued. The 1705 has been boarding late all week - understandable enough, but it is very stressful not knowing if you've inadvertently sat in a pre-booked seat and are going to end up standing to Mullingar. They need to ensure that no train opens its doors without bookings lit up. I can't see why anybody would pay the extra for booking on the Sligo line. If you turn up late you are almost guaranteed a row.

I've booked a hotel tonight, I just couldn't face the 5 AM start again. Some choice - either get up at 5 AM or take your chances with standing for 90 minutes. All for the low low price of 4,000 euro per year.

At least the early train has been a 22K three days this week.