Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-11-2011, 20:00   #1
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Default Shankill

When are the ticket office works scheduled for completion? To my knowledge, this has been out of action for about 6 weeks now, and users have no access to purchase tickets.

Presumably there must be a lot of lost revenue associated with this.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 00:23   #2
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Does it have ticket vending machines?
Unread 12-11-2011, 11:20   #3
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Inside the ticket hall which is locked up. Passengers are routed via an alternative entrance / exit.
Unread 03-01-2012, 15:46   #4
Yoko
New to the board

The vending machines are accessible, they are outside before the boarded up area. There is no barrier to entering the station platform from 2 entrances
Yoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 18:10   #5
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

For the first time in over 3 months that I have seen, the station ticket office was open today. Seems a long time to have taken to install new ticket barriers.

Last edited by Eddie : 12-01-2012 at 23:16.
Unread 25-03-2013, 15:16   #6
Dermot
New to the board

Default Shankill

I have lived in Shankill for 25 years & I have to say the condition & design of the dart station always amazes me.

It properly the most user unfriendly station in Dublin. I think it is ugly & attracts litter. Surely with the new park & ride facility proposed (which will happen this year) can a new station on ground level be not built. Surely we can get rid of al these steps & put in lifts (if needed) that work.

I am not suggesting massive capital investment a I know there is no moeny there now. But honestly if you compare shankill station to all others southside including Bray it appears that very little investment or thinking went into developing it.

A new station could easily be build at ground level & this could us blend in with the platforms & the existing footbridge. It may even be possible to have a retail outlet in the mornings. The fencing down towards the end of shanganagh cliffs could also be replaced with a mroe amiable/less harsh fitting one.

Surely these measures would only incentivise people in Shankill to use the Dart, what do others think?

Rgs

Dermot.
Dermot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-03-2013, 16:31   #7
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermot View Post
I have lived in Shankill for 25 years & I have to say the condition & design of the dart station always amazes me.

It properly the most user unfriendly station in Dublin. I think it is ugly & attracts litter. Surely with the new park & ride facility proposed (which will happen this year) can a new station on ground level be not built. Surely we can get rid of al these steps & put in lifts (if needed) that work.

I am not suggesting massive capital investment a I know there is no moeny there now. But honestly if you compare shankill station to all others southside including Bray it appears that very little investment or thinking went into developing it.
I'm guessing that Shankill is probably one of the newest Dart stations, perhaps only having opened around the time of the Dart's introduction. It certainly has a very cheap "concretey" 1970s feel to it, and it wouldn't have existed at the time that many of the other stations were built 100 or so years before because that part of the line between Killiney and Bray has clearly been re-routed at some point due to sea erosion.

What exactly is the Park and Ride proposal?
Unread 29-03-2013, 17:40   #8
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Late 1970s if I recall correctly.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-03-2013, 18:50   #9
Dermot
New to the board

Liam Cosgrave opened Shankill railway station in circa 1975/6 he was TD for area as well as being Taoiseach.

Park & Ride is basically a purpose built car park beside a transport hub, train/luas or bus collection/disemark point. Hence the name however you are charged the privilage for parking. You need to buy a ticket for the carpark, this is how they make their money.

There is one going up in Bridesglen this year at Luas terminus.

Rgs

Dermot/
Unread 29-03-2013, 20:02   #10
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

But there's a free car park at Shankill already. Can't imagine that it's going to increase patronage by putting a bit of tarmac down and charging for it. It's usually pretty full already. Are they intending to increase its size?
Unread 30-03-2013, 14:07   #11
Dermot
New to the board

There is a car park there that is free I guess thats the main motivation about putting in a park & ride, it will generate income. Also its falling apart numerous potholes & its a free for all so you have double parking, people not being able to get out let alone get in at least this way there will be planning & organising. I would imagine it would be more secure with overhead lighting etc, I think it will be a little bigger than the one at present.

Rgs

Dermot.
Unread 08-11-2013, 20:56   #12
Traincustomer

Default Shankill Station Car Park

Quote:
Shankill Station Car Park to close for renovations from Wednesday 13th November next

08 November 2013

Shankill Station Car Park to close for renovations from 13th November next for approximately three months.

The Car Park is owned and operated by Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council. Please see details on their website
Source: http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_news.jsp?i=4943&p=116&n=237

Aside - Had a look and this doesn't seem to be elsewhere in the Forum; I remembered that facilities at Shankill had been discussed recently so searched for this thread but got a mild shock when I saw it was as far back as March - time goes fast etc...!
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 23:24   #13
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

The newly surfaced larger car park looks like it'll be open soon. The old (free) one used to be pretty full most week days. Given that all these customers have had to find an alternative for the last 3 months whilst the work has been done, I wonder how keen they'll be to return unless the price point is set pretty low.
Unread 27-02-2014, 23:34   #14
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

After 3 months of work, the car park has lost about 75% of its customers. Price point seems to be €3 per day.