Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Sligo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 17-01-2008, 15:20   #1
peteretep
New to the board

Default Ticket refund

I was delayed a few weeks ago on the Sligo line, and so the ticket checker handed everyone out ticket refund applications.
I filled it out like the fool that i am, and just received a letter back from them today telling me the reason for the delay (great) and that since it was only (only!) 38 minutes, that a discount does not apply in this occasion.
That's fine the passengers charter states that the delay has to be over 60mins for a refund, but why did they waste my time and their time and the time of any other passengers on the train by handing out these forms if they knew there wouldnt be a payout?
was it just a PR exercise, and they hoped nobody would actually send them in?
peteretep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-01-2008, 17:06   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It would be helpful to provide the date of the incident in question and the train(s) involved as we can then find out the actual scale of the delay

Refunds are based on the delay at your destination, so a passenger travelling from say Longford to Wicklow may only be 30 minutes late into Connolly but having missed the connection may be several hours late for example. Similarly a passenger travelling Sligo to Clonsilla would miss the connecting train from Maynooth again suffering a considerable delay

In some cases eg Dublin Belfast refunds apply once the delay is 30 minutes or more

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 17-01-2008 at 17:15.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-01-2008, 17:26   #3
peteretep
New to the board

Mark, thanks again for your reply, I cant remember the dates of the train, but I wasn't really expecting a refund. I was just surprised they gave out these forms when the delay experienced wasn't enough to get a refund. It was on the way to Sligo so there wouldn't have been any other connecting trains.
peteretep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-01-2008, 17:43   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well it common for a late train to get even later when on a single track line. If the ticket checker was told to expect 1+ hour late the forms go out. Sometime you make up time, sometimes you get desperately late

I'm guessing this was the signal failure in Enfield Nov 29 which delayed the 17:05 to Sligo by approx 1 hour

They gave out the forms which is a major step forward from the I don't know what form you want line
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote