Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 24-05-2006, 16:34   #61
TomB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler
I thought it was funny as the author, decided to take a particular angle. It was at the expense of "trainspotters". So what? Nobody got hurt. I assume she did her research online. If any of us look at some of the chat rooms, message boards etc, that is the impression you will get.
I have to say I agree with you Derek, I thought it was funny too. Not the most sophisticated of humour OK, but funny nonetheless.

And I don't want to sound like an arsehole here, but speaking as someone who has little knowledge and even less interest in railway technology above joe punter, perhaps she might have a point? Anyway, maybe not for discussion here.
Unread 24-05-2006, 16:45   #62
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL
Well why don't you tell us, you're normally forthcoming with information..

or is it confidential information ?
Certain things are too important, put it this way everything is in the public domain its a case of making the links.
Unread 24-05-2006, 16:49   #63
why_does_planning_suck
Regular Poster

if i linked "unions" with "w***ers", would that sum it up ?
Unread 24-05-2006, 17:29   #64
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

No actually
Unread 24-05-2006, 17:51   #65
sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Bibby
I have to say I agree with you Derek, I thought it was funny too. Not the most sophisticated of humour OK, but funny nonetheless.

And I don't want to sound like an arsehole here, but speaking as someone who has little knowledge and even less interest in railway technology above joe punter, perhaps she might have a point? Anyway, maybe not for discussion here.
Humor has no place in a factual article. And I say this as a person who enjoys comedy. It's just that there's a time, and a place, for everything. And low-blow stereotyping does not belong in a news article.

The basis for this "locosexual" nonsense was an insult by Tommy Sheridan aimed at certain WRC advocating IRNers. It then took on a life of its own, especially when Victor over at boards.ie for some stupid and absurd reason decided to pin two threads with LOCOSEXUAL in the titles, both of these threads shouldn't even have been open/existing let alone pinned.

I'd love to know just what the hell was that guy playing at?

Now it will likely be the new insult directed at trainspotters in general.
Unread 24-05-2006, 20:31   #66
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

I have to credit its inventor though. It is a humourus term and to have in national media! If it does stick he will be the first person I've ever met who invented an insult and had become mainstream(ish).
Unread 24-05-2006, 20:55   #67
CSL

Unread 24-05-2006, 21:52   #68
sean

Yes. Because there aren't enough stereotypes already.
Unread 25-05-2006, 08:04   #69
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
I'd love to know just what the hell was that guy playing at?
It wasn't stupid, it was humerous in it's intent.. Who could have guessed that it would have formed the basis of the Independent's CDE reporting?!

I'd bet that Miriam Lord has forgotten she even wrote the article - she'd probably be very surprised to hear that people were still talking about it, tbh...

In fact, she's in danger of becoming a quasi celebrity at this stage.. You could even be encouraging a second article if she is reading this....

And lets face it - the vroom bit high-lighted that it is still the same old loco, so from an information point of view maybe it wasn't that bad?
Unread 25-05-2006, 13:05   #70
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson
If you only knew what I know. Its exceedingly complex but there is trouble still in Cork, all kinds of problems. There was a total breakdown in trust last week. Platform 11 will issue a statement detailing exactly what did happen in coming days

The driver, guard and ticket checker of the 5:30 ex Cork on Monday took the CDE set back as passengers
I've been asked to clarify this statement

The driver, guard and ticket checker of the 5:30 ex Cork always return on the 9:00 ex Dublin as passengers, its normal and nothing to do with the CDE train or any disputes. The statement failed to acknowledge this, giving the impression it was related to the dispute, it was an observation of what actually took place on Monday

But there are issues in Cork which are unresolved, to do with the new train yes, to do with driving it, no. Doesn't matter fact is issues remain
Unread 25-05-2006, 14:03   #71
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson

The driver, guard and ticket checker of the 5:30 ex Cork always return on the 9:00 ex Dublin as passengers, its normal and nothing to do with the CDE train or any disputes.
Forgive me for being naive as I know nothing about how train employees operate but why does the Cork driver and associated staff not operate the return train to Cork?
Unread 28-05-2006, 20:37   #72
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The Craig Doyle has reappeared on the telly with a revised ad, of course the ugly locomotive is not shown, looks like it was shot last Christmas

One thing I didn't point out last week is each coach carries two external displays on each side which display the destination and also the coach number, A, B, C etc which is handy to help you find your seat, also means you avoid the curse of two coach 'X's appearing as the old fashioned way it was labeled manually
Unread 28-05-2006, 22:38   #73
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Actually, Sean, I quite liked the enite Locosexual thread in boards and was delighted to see it stickied. I will never, ever, forgive myself for forgetting to used the term "coupling" in that thread, it'll surely haunt me till the day I die. And yea, i knicked Derek's famous line for my sig. Not changing it, though.

and, O/T the lads to always go back on the 9.00 am train and the ticket lad on Friday looked most exceedingly dapper what with his cap wearing tomfoolerly and that. Fab.
Unread 07-06-2006, 09:13   #74
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Information has reached us that the second MK4/CDE set may enter service today, starting from Cork possibly, we have no firm info on times by it could be the 9:30 or 11:30 Cork Dublin and 15:00 Dublin Cork.
Unread 08-06-2006, 00:24   #75
craigybagel
Regular Poster

Was on the 0900 Dublin Cork on Tuesday we were running a little late by Mallow and a number of passengers bound for Fota and Cobh for the day were worried about making theyre connection at cork. So they ask the guard/train manager/random member of staff in nice new blue uniform if he can get the Conh train held at cork for them. Staff member duly rang Kent station but his request was denied. What was interesting though was what he said afterwards. "id ask the driver to speed up a bit but because of industrial relations issues im not allowed do so".
Any thoughts anyone?
Unread 08-06-2006, 08:47   #76
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigybagel
Was on the 0900 Dublin Cork on Tuesday we were running a little late by Mallow and a number of passengers bound for Fota and Cobh for the day were worried about making theyre connection at cork. So they ask the guard/train manager/random member of staff in nice new blue uniform if he can get the Conh train held at cork for them. Staff member duly rang Kent station but his request was denied. What was interesting though was what he said afterwards. "id ask the driver to speed up a bit but because of industrial relations issues im not allowed do so".
Any thoughts anyone?
Holding the train could be problematic. There's a tight turnaround in Cobh (6 mins) and any delay to the train could have had a knock on effect during the day.

As regards making the connection, there are a few points. Cork-Mallow is one of the most heavily padded sections of the network. InterCities are scheduled to take over half an hour, but it's not uncommon for them to do it in 23/24 minutes. Being late in Mallow does not necessarily mean you'll be late in Cork.

More relevant is that the 9:00am Dublin-Cork train is the 11:21 Mallow-Cork train. The 12:00 Cork-Cobh is the 11:35 Mallow-Cobh. So, unless the train was over quarter of an hour late in Mallow, it would have been still running ahead of the train that they were connecting too. Once they were in Mallow, there would either have been no possibility or no problem. The guard should have been able to find this out.

If Cork-Cobh could go half-hourly throughout the day, this would cease to be a significant problem.
Unread 08-06-2006, 09:42   #77
craigybagel
Regular Poster

Thanks but im aware of the above and we left Mallow before the Cobh train so i knew that wed make it to Cork before it did and that it wouldnt be a problem (although it does seem strange that neither the IE staff member on board or the manager in Cork he rang was aware of this) but i was more curious about the staff being forbidden because of industrial relations issues from communicating with the driver.
Unread 08-06-2006, 10:14   #78
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Would be fairly obvious to look outside the window at Mallow and spot the railcar

To hold a train you ring Connolly not anywhere else as the line controller is there.

There is a speed restriction outside Port Laois which is holding trains up resulting in delay

I'm sure the safety people take a dim view of someone telling the driver to speed up afterall a green signal means proceed at line speed can't go faster than that
Unread 13-06-2006, 16:41   #79
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Yeah, according to the crew it's the second set. They were blabbering away to interested passengers this morning.

Major plus points:
1) Crew well dressed, suits rather than the usual uniform.
2) Excellent Passenger Info system, far better than anything I've seen on IE to-date.
3) On-train cleaners. A cleaner went up and down the train picking up any rubbish passengers might have on their tables and making sure everything was spick and span.
4) Train manager made a manual announcement introducing himself.
5) Excellent climate control. The journey was very comfortable.
6) I wouldn't say the suspension's bad, but it's a little harder than the MK3s. Also, the actual trains are very heavily sound insulated so you tend to notice any noise/vibration. I'd say it could be tweaked to make it a bit softer. I didn't find the ride particularly poor though, it felt very solid and smooth for most of the journey.
7) Wide doors, wide easily maintainable toilets.
8) Simplified carriage end doors and improved, well insulated gangways.

Overall, I was very impressed by my first trip. They feel a lot less cluttered than an IE MK3 and are a hell of a lot brighter and quieter on board. I don't think the suspension is anywhere near as bad as the enterprise though.

Also, the coaches seem to be EXTREMELY heavily computerised. Even the toilets have voice prompts suggesting that you should lock the door by pressing the lock button

Glitches:

1) The PIS didn't announce our arrival at Charleville... It worked flawlessly for every other station.
2) When it arrived in Cork it went to huge effor to explain where all the bus links, taxis etc are located but didn't mention that the No 5 bus runs regular services to the city centre.

Incidently, one of the crew was explaining the PIS to someone. Apparently it's using GPS location to figure out where it is. It doesn't rely on the signalling system.

I am well impressed anyway. I found the whole experience slick and professional which is somthing I never thought I'd have said about CIE.

Last edited by MrX : 13-06-2006 at 16:43.
Unread 13-06-2006, 18:00   #80
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX
3) On-train cleaners. A cleaner went up and down the train picking up any rubbish passengers might have on their tables and making sure everything was spick and span.
But could you find a bin ?

Quote:
Also, the coaches seem to be EXTREMELY heavily computerised. Even the toilets have voice prompts suggesting that you should lock the door by pressing the lock button
That was the major bug on day one, was fixed quickly by turning the volume up

Quote:
1) The PIS didn't announce our arrival at Charleville... It worked flawlessly for every other station.
The PIS guys are on site in Inchicore and I can be almost certain that a senior manager was onboard as well to badysit the train. There are some PIS changes coming
Closed Thread