Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 21-03-2007, 21:12   #21
MrX
Really Regular Poster

It's complete lack of "joined up thinking".
MrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-03-2007, 22:14   #22
James Shields

I know we're drifting away from the Maynooth line here (though it will be part of it post-Interconnector), but I think the elimination of level crossings between Lansdowne Road and Merrion Gates should be treated as a priority.

There will be major works going on with the construction of the new stadium, including the construction of new pedestrian tunnels. It seems insane not to replace the crossing at the same time. If you look at this crossing from a distance, the road clearly rises up a couple of metres as it approaches the line. It would seem relatively easy to make it dip down and pass underneath instead. There might be a problem for properties accessing the road, but fortunately I don't think any of those are very close to the line. It would be a fairly low bridge, but that could be somewhat mitigated by using a bridge design like the East Wall one with the tracks attached directly to the bridge deck.

Some of the intermediate crossings could probably also be underbridges. Others might have to become cul-de-sacs.

The Merrion crossing would be interesting. The only way I could see it being done is by a motorway style flyover, with slip roads to and from Merrion Road,making it a free-flow junction. It would involve lots of concrete, and I can't see it being popular with the locals.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-03-2007, 22:21   #23
clonsilladart
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Someone is going to get killed there, without a doubt it is the most dangerous level crossing in the country
I Agree Totally.... So So Dangerous!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson
Personally on ground of public safety I'd ban all vehicular traffic off the Clonsilla one right now
One not so draconian measure would be for IE to keep the LC closed until Pedestrian Traffic has dispersed.... This would drastically improve safety, although making the Traffic Buildup worse....... But it would be Safety First!!!!, and put additional pressure on Fingal Co Co to get their skates on!!!!

On the Politician front, Joan Burton is definitely the most vocal of the local TD's wrt the Rail network and general D15 Transport issues: Link1 Link2
She was also at Clonsilla Station one morning last week discussing issues with Rail commuters and motorists.
clonsilladart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-03-2007, 11:59   #24
CSL

the line had been planned to close for Easter to allow the stadium to be dropped - not going to happen now they need another time block.
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote