Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 23-06-2010, 08:09   #1
zag
Regular Poster

Default Seapoint DART station

Quick question - are the works at Seapoint station finished or are there more works (platform widening, etc . . .) planned ?

Also, from memory there are some sort of 'holes in the wall' on the city bound platform - where these would be walls that back on to the houses on Seapoint Avenue - does anyone know the story behind these ?

z

p.s. I think some of these may be drainage holes as the houses and gardens are much higher and there would be seepage, but I have a feeling I remember some door or window sized openings in the wall.

Last edited by zag : 23-06-2010 at 08:19.
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-06-2010, 08:53   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its fully complete for several months and staffed Mon-Fri
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-06-2010, 18:54   #3
Alan French

The walls of the northbound platform seem to be property boundaries. The land rises very steeply to the back gardens of the houses, and the walls are probably retaining the sloping ground at a level below the holes. So there are presumably both engineering and property reasons for not widening the platform.
Alan French is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-06-2010, 20:42   #4
zag
Regular Poster

Thanks for the info. I was down there this evening checking something out. There's a pair of old houses, and beneath their garden there is an excavated area (as in a large room) with round portholes to the platform. Wild guess department - this may have been some storage associated with the platform/station in the old days.

Further south there are two newer houses and they have rather ugly modern block retaining walls with no openings.

z
Unread 23-06-2010, 21:03   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

That be the stables built in the late 1840's as a kick back to the landowner who gave the railway company the money and land to build the station at Seapoint.

No water leaks through the wall.

There is a retaining wall south of the station which has holes to allow water to escape
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-06-2010, 08:00   #6
zag
Regular Poster

Stables, interesting. I know there were other accommodations made for the land owners along the route such as the bridges over the tracks at Maretimo and the little mini-pier there too but I hadn't heard about the stables.

How did the horses get up to road level ? Did they walk along to the scout den area and go up from there ?

z