Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-04-2008, 09:30   #1
ThomasJ

Default fun and games last night [6-4-2008]

I arrived at Tara Street last night to get the 20:46 Tara street Maynooth. I arrived with a few minutes to spare and as I got upto the platform a Northbound DART was leaving. Maynooth was next train.

A few minutes passed and there was no sign of the train. It was about 5 minutes after the scheduled departure time and at this stage the platform information screen was switching between Maynooth and Connolly (inbound Rosslare train) There was no audio announcements on the platform. Meanwhile on the Southbound platform, an inbound train from Drogheda/Dundalk had arrived.

A few minutes later a train arrived. The platform information screen was indicating the train was for Maynooth but the destination on the train was Drogheda (29k). Again there was no audio announcements on the platform. Passengers were told by staff to board the train.

On board the train, the driver announced that the train would terminate at Connolly and that they would board the Maynooth bound train at platform 6 at connolly. The train arrived at connolly. Passengers got off the train but the platform information screen at platform 7 was stating that the train at platform 7 the train they had just got off was infact for Maynooth. Again no audio announcements on the platform. Passsengers were standing on the train and were running up to ask the driver but he said the train would arrive at platform 6 and it did. The train that brought us to Connolly then went back to Pearse. Why they did this when the inbound Rosslare train which makes the same stops was sitting right behind is beyond me.

Passengers boarded the train on platform 6 but the onboard audio announcements were a mess and was not clear enough. The announcement "This tr-tr-tr-tra is for Ma-Ma-Ma is Tara Street" and passengers were u[p looking out onto the platform seeing whether this was infact the Maynooth train. The platform information screen was saying Maynooth. No audio announcements. The driver made a manual announcement to say the train was for Maynooth. Loud and clear enough for all to hear. After three or four restarts the driver gave up on the audio automatic announcements and we were off!

The train left Connoly ten to fifteen minutes late a total joke!

Last edited by ThomasJ : 07-04-2008 at 10:08.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2008, 17:44   #2
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

I saw that train come into Connolly with Drogheda on the front but nothing on the sides...
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote