Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 23-10-2007, 13:06   #1
TheBoss
New to the board

Default First class on commuter trains ??

Anybody know what the policy is with first-class carriages on commuter trains.

The 17.25 train ex heuston to Portlaoise (and onwards to Limerick) is effectively a commuter train serving Sallins/Naas, Newbridge, Kildare, Portarlington and Portloaise after which it is almost empty.

However, the powers that be have a first class section at the top of the train. Depending on the conductor ‘in charge’ (I use the term lightly) – he will let the ‘ordinary’ passengers sit in it. However, some guys get really uptight about it and eventually give in only when he is faced with about a dozen passengers looking for seats. Others rant about paying an upgrade but is ignored by all !

Now, I have no objection to first class as such (especially if a customer has purchased a first-class return ticket and travelled that morning for e.g.). But there is no extra service to warrant first-class – i.e. no food served, no trolley service, etc.

What really annoys people is the fact that several IE staff (not train workers) sit in it every evening – I counted 10 one evening.

It can be quite amusing some evenings watching the antics of all, but the train is very overcrowded most days and even limited standing room left.

Anyone got any comments ?
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote