Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 30-09-2006, 21:27   #1
Philly
Regular Poster

Exclamation Today's Star[B][I]"Unsafe" train halted by angry protestor [/I][/B]

"Unsafe" train halted by angry protestor

Edited

A furious passenger was so concerned with over-crowding on yesterday's Dublin-Waterford train he put his life in danger to hold it up in a protest.

Jason Hogan, from Newbridge, was travelling home on the 4:25 train from Heuston to Waterford when he became so exasperated at the over-crowding that he had to act.

"When I got onto the train it was absolutely packed..." Jason said.

"I complained to IE staff on the platform but they said there was nothing they could do. As the train pulled out I was really concerned, it was unsafe, there were up to twenty people standing in the passageway alone. So I rang the HSA from my mobile but they said it wasn't their area."

He then rang the Gardaí, who contacted CIE. "I knw they would do nothing about it, complaints always fall on deaf ears with CIE".

"Thats when I decided to act, I was deeply concerned for my own and the other passenger's safety."

When the train arrived at Hazelhatch, Jason jumped out and stopped the doors from closing.

For 20 mins. the train was held up as Jason refused to move. Staff at Hazelhatch called the Gardaí. When they arrived Jason locked himself in the toilet. "They forced the door open and led me away, CIE are likely to press charges but I'm glad I did what I did. Somebody has to take a stand. Conditions on trains are just terrible."

A spokesman for CIE said there was no danger... it was a matter of comfort not safety...