Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-02-2006, 10:40   #1
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Default yearly tickets only 11 month tickets?

I had a yearly train ticket till the end of august 05, one of the balbriggan to kilcoole jobbies with my photo on it.
It stated on the ticket valid from september 04 to august 05
It stopped working at the start of august( i'd say the second at a guess), the readers said ticket expired or words to that effect.
It was a replacement ticket, probably only 4 months old also, so it wasn't overly worn out.

anyhoo on the first of Feb, a woman ahead of me had her ticket rejected by the machine, showed it to the ticket seller and pointed out it was for march to feb and he let her through the gate.

I know this is only two tickets but it seems curious that they'd stopp working exactly 1 month before they are supposed to.
Not to attribute anything to malice that can be explained by inncompetence or anything, but if anyone else had issues like these it might be worth documenting?
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2006, 11:05   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

To me if a ticket says valid till August 200x its valid till last day sounds like a fairly simple encoding fault, I've seen that before

I know a few people with annual tickets issued in May and they have never reported any trouble, one ticket had to be replaced when it was damaged by the turnstile reader.

There is a significant number of annual tickets in circulation thus if this was widespread it would be well known at this stage. It would be interesting to know if there is a pattern or just a random once off
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2006, 11:18   #3
James Shields

Well my ticket is March-February, and it still works (though I've only had to feed it through a turnstyle once so far this month).

My guess is that when the ticket was reissued, someone miscounted the months.

I'm really wondering how yearly tickets will hold out once Exit validation comes in. Currently I almost go through the gate and have the ticket inspected visually, but feeding it through gates up to four times a day could really put it through its paces.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2006, 11:21   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

They hold up reasonably Ok I've seen one that gets to go through a barrier twice a day after 12 months and its fairly Ok, the tickets are plastic not card so they take a lot of punishment

The main issue is how the ticket is look after, Dublin Bus appeared to issue a nice wallet to hold there annual ticket
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote