View Single Post
Unread 19-03-2010, 20:58   #52
Oisin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColmmacO View Post
Oisin,

You dont happen to live in the area affected by the plans by any chance do you?
The amount of emotion in your post would indicate that either you do, or you have some bone to pick with IE or the present government.
I don't live in the area, I live on the quays. I have no bone to pick with Irish Rail, except the bone that has developed from their shortcomings experienced by a daily traveller for the last 8 years. I have no bone to pick with the current government (on public transport policy) and am in fact a fully paid up member of the junior partner. I do, however, sympathise with the residents, and have joined their campaign. They are attempting to ensure that the process is consultative, despite Irish Rails unilateral approach to things.

Quote:
If either of the above are true, I really cant see how you can post on this subject with any objectivity.
If either of the above were true, would there be any reason why I couldn't?

Quote:
I can see the bigger picture very clearly.
The big picture is that a relatively small group of people are threatening to hold up a piece of infrastructure that will benefit a far larger group.
This is a problem that is endemic in irish society today
Really? And the evidence for this statement is available where? And are IOT delaying this or is the fact that the project team had to hurriedly move the tunnel portal to Inchicore delaying the project? I would challenge you to provide any evidence of delay by residents to the project up to this point.

Quote:
I would implore you to reread my post, particularily the part of it that says if IE do things properly.
Read again, and I agree, with the emphasis on the word "properly" but having been a member on here for a few years, I have seen precious little evidence of them doing things properly, and plenty about where they have got it wrong. In fact you even discuss it, in a way, in your own post here

Quote:
Also what evidence have you for your statement below?
"Remember also that the original engineers were probably told "we want it to go from here to here" and had to work with that"
Note the use of the word "probably" here. Reading your post, I note that you also made assumptions about the OTB report. Am I not entitled to make similar assumptions about the IÉ commissioned work? I have experience of seeing work done by other consultants and how they are commissioned.

Quote:
Are you an engineer, or have you got any experience of large infrastructure projects? What is your interest in the interconnector?
No, I am not an engineer, but I wasn't aware that a degree in engineering was the only license to have an opinion or to have knowledge about infrastructural projects. I have a number of siblings that are engineers. I note you are one of the blessed ones, however, you could be a chemical engineer (or even a fuel injection engineer)

My emotion was mainly piqued by your predictable broadside against the 700 residents in the works estate (and many more around the area) legitimate concerns with a hastily thrown together plan by a monolithic state organisation. I want to see the interconnector delivered, more than most people. I can't wait to see it and will use the train alot when it comes. But it has to be done properly, not shoddily, and that means probably putting the portal in the place where it has the least impact on residents. Looking at the plans, that probably means a few hundred yards west of where currently planned, in the middle of a largely abandoned railway works (much of the work has been moved out of here) as stated in the OTB report. In any event, due to the nature of the rock interfaces underneath, this option might even be cheaper.

In fact, I also think that the location of a station in the works is also not optimal. Something closer to either Ballyfermot Village or to Inchicore Village would have better patronage, and would allow for better linkage with other modes such as buses etc. But that's another story.

Oh, and I had granola (non-organic) from the Dublin food co-op, a banana, and a latte for breakfast. Now are you happy?

Last edited by Colm Moore : 22-03-2010 at 17:04. Reason: Broken quote causing confusion
Oisin88 is offline   Reply With Quote