View Single Post
Unread 26-03-2009, 18:45   #22
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamling View Post
Who is in charge putting these trains together? Whats the criteria?

Obviously Irish Rail seems to think a 4 car set is enough for commuters from Drogheda into town in the mornings. Or they just don't care (only after you complained long enough).

There is a 8 car set leaving Connolly at around 7.30am towards Maynooth. Its nearly empty all the time. Sure it will get more crowded later but I doubt there is that many people leaving town (in case I am wrong, please let me know). If IR is short of carriages they should at least try to make a fair use of them instead of pulling the joke on certain services all the time.
The 7.30 service towards Maynooth you refer to returns inwards as the 8:15am Maynooth Pearse (originally that set would run from Longford in the morning). a very busy service inwards.

Unlike Drogheda, there is no depot for Maynooth trains to sit overnight so they have to run outbound from connolly to run inbound. Don't know if you remember the whole hullabaloo over empty trains out this way and the lack of options for Maynooth University students.

Don't forget you have so many drogheda trains heading out to Bray and even onwards... how many extra services would you get if they terminated in connolly and ran back?

For the record I was on the 7:46 ex Maynooth this morning and it was packed to the rafters!
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote