Thread: Clonmel station
View Single Post
Unread 17-11-2012, 16:50   #25
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Cork trains serve Thurles, Mallow and Cork + some Limerick J.
2 hourly Limerick services serving stations Cork does not so I think an extra 3 services daily.

During the week Cork trains are just like ghost trains as may services across the network but now Limerick services will take from Thurles and of course the connections to Limerick will now largely be direct so Cork trains will lose a lot of passengers. Are IE expecting the increased speeds to pick up all the traffic lost from the above changes at Cork and Mallow. I just can't see how this will be maintained and this is from a company who is broke and trying to cut costs just how much will they increase now with extra Limerick services but a reduction in Limerick shuttle should help. I take it there will be no cuts to Cork services because at the minute I think the 08.00 and 10.00 should be dropped, however I was told that they are not allowed to cut Cork services as the EU payed part for it having an hourly service. Is that correct?

If Waterford-Limerick J services stay connecting at Junction I hop they will be times to meet Cork trains that serve there otherwise then I would suggest running through to Limerick and not serve the junction. If the route could be done direct to Limerick in 2h30 then it could compete with the bus.

These rumours/plans just don't add up and I can see them being dropped after a few months as increased speeds are not going to have a major affect on numbers.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote