View Single Post
Unread 18-07-2009, 08:34   #5
on the move
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavanrailbus
I know some will say there's not a massive amount of traffic but there is potential to grow traffic on all sections of the line. Starting at the Rosslare end we have the ferry. Ok, not hundreds of people but from my observations a few day in day out. And Rosslare now offers the only overnight connection from Éire to the UK since the abolition of the early-hours train ex Holyhead. Many are tiring of the airlines and the relentless need for doing everything online and all the charges and restrictions. As a nation we took the boat in hard times long ago and it amazes me there is a certain snobbery out there against using it nowadays; granted it doesn't suit all purposes and trips.
The boat was much cheaper than the plane in those days. Unfortunately, unless it's a leisure break, nobody is going to take the boat to UK/France when there's the plane option. The process might be cumbersome, but at least you know it will get you there on the day. Imagine sailing to France in our weather in November? You'd never get there. Most people would rather fly into Paris or London in an hour, rather than hoping the wind speeds are ok for sailing on the day.

As for the trains, it is an outrage, that major towns in this country have no rail service. There should be a line connecting Cork to Derry via Limerick-Galway-Sligo-Donegal.

Sadly, I can't see any major rail development or improvements for another 20 years. What we have now, we hold. If the Western rail corridor is abandoned, it will devastate the West of Ireland. And we in Dublin, think that losing the Metro is an inconvenience?