View Single Post
Unread 17-07-2009, 06:25   #1
Traincustomer

Default A Rosslare to Galway (ideally Sligo) vision

It never ceases to amaze me how the stereotypical lines regarding lesser used lines (for want of a better term) are rolled out and the Bord Snip Report is no exception. Most bureaucrats have probably never even travelled on the line. No vision, no analysis, just negativity.

While recognising the need for cost savings and effective practise it is not in order for lines to be closed when they haven't been really given a fair chance in the first instance.

Various excellent posts in this forum have already identified the need for raising line speeds and marketing so I won't repeat this need.

And now to a vision which is both realistic and has potential. Operate a Rosslare (Europort) to Galway through train. Ideally with a 22000 railcar set, but in the interim a commuter set may have to be deployed (I appreciate other lines might have priority for the 22000s and am unsure if these railcars are cleared for all sections of the route?). Such an operation has a myriad of benefits thus:

(a) Through service - much more attractive for passengers and much more likely to entice people. Catering service too.
(b) Optimum use of resources (rolling stock).
(c) Serves numerous roles - integration with ferry at Rosslare, commuter traffic into Waterford, cross-country traffic, traffic between the major centres of Waterford, Limerick and Galway.

In this vision the 22000 would depart from Rosslare Europort as per present timetable (0705) and continue through to Galway to arrive there circa 1230. After a layover of 45 minutes to one hour at Ceannt Station it would depart say at 1320 and assume the existing timetable at Limerick Junction (1546 hrs.). A minimum of dwell time at key stations. For instance four minutes maximum at both Limerick Junction and Limerick (Colbert).

In fact there is scope for the majority if not all Galway to Limerick trains to run through to Waterford, with perhaps a second train in each direction onwards to Rosslare Europort and possibly Wexford.

I know some will say there's not a massive amount of traffic but there is potential to grow traffic on all sections of the line. Starting at the Rosslare end we have the ferry. Ok, not hundreds of people but from my observations a few day in day out. And Rosslare now offers the only overnight connection from Éire to the UK since the abolition of the early-hours train ex Holyhead. Many are tiring of the airlines and the relentless need for doing everything online and all the charges and restrictions. As a nation we took the boat in hard times long ago and it amazes me there is a certain snobbery out there against using it nowadays; granted it doesn't suit all purposes and trips. Secondly is the commuter flow into Waterford from the South Wexford stations - ok, not giant figures but a large catchment area and the rail route (across the Barrow Estuary) offers a much more direct route into Waterford that the circuitous road route. Increase line speed to 60mph or more and rail becomes much more attractive and will be economically sustainable. Under the present set up a Waterford to Galway journey is going to involve three trains - not remotely attractive. With one train and onboard catering and faster point to point timings things will pick up much more.

Our railways need to be given a chance to prosper, some people may have had so many bad experiences on them that they perhaps can't see the potential they have.

Last edited by Traincustomer : 17-07-2009 at 16:14.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote