View Single Post
Unread 12-12-2008, 18:20   #15
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler View Post
Timing public transport to fit in with entertainment is the future. Thats why the buses have done nightlink and nightrider.
Nightrider is all but gone and all the Nitelink services are being reviewed in the new year - the flood of taxis have killed them.

I'm not sure if you can design a railway around occassional events, especially ones at a secondary location. Sure, specials can be laid on to move a chunk of the crowds, but holding scheduled services for 30 minutes (whatever about 10 minutes) destroys the service for regular users.

The GAA have copped on and laid on a bunch of park and ride services - from local GAA ground - for the main games in Croke Park last summer. Indeed there are a couple of operators that do concert specials to the main venues, but designing a service around "I want to stay in the pub all hours" isn't easy.

Now, all the operators do need to up their game, but they also need the cooperation of concert promoters and others. But concert promoters don't do socially responsible (perhaps a different day's argument).

Personally I'd love to see alcohol licences tied to the availibility of suitable public transport - let the pubs subsidise the buses and trains instead of the other way aorund.