Thread: Power socket?
View Single Post
Unread 17-07-2007, 14:11   #7
MrX
Really Regular Poster

That strange looking socket's just an old-style British round pin 5amp socket. Just be careful as it's not necessarily 'smooth' juice. It's coming from a generator that could be pretty ancient, so I would advice if you do use it, make sure that you have a surge protector connected in-line.

You can buy those plugs in most hardware shops as they're still used for special lighting circuits i.e. where you've a light switch controlling lamps in a room. They're wired pretty much the same way as a modern Irish/UK plug, but do not contain a fuse. You could simply swap the modern plug on your extension lead for one of those and use a power strip with surge protection.

You could get 220V, you could get some other voltage too. Although, 220V seems quite likely. If you're prepared to take that chance, fair enough hehe. Just don't try holding IE, or anyone else responsible if your laptop charger gets fried.

Irish rail might not be too happy with you using it though as it's not necessarily protected by an RCD (to prevent electric shocks). These are provided on the modern trains and have been required on all sockets (in homes, offices etc) since the early 1980s.

I would trust the power on the new trains trains to be smooth and safe as it's coming from one of a pair of brand new, modern generators that are designed for the job and built during an era when people do connect sensitive electronic equipment to sockets. The older gear only had to power lighting, heating and ventilation so it could be pretty 'rough and ready'. I wouldn't be very comfortable connecting sensitive equipment directly to it!

You can get a power strip with a built-in surge protector, or you can even get in-line versions that plug into your laptop power adaptor.

The other (safer) option (pricy as it might be) is to buy a second laptop battery. Just charge both before you go and keep it in your bag.

It's certainly less bulky than carrying around a big load of extension leads and 1950s-style plugs!

Last edited by MrX : 17-07-2007 at 14:20.
MrX is offline   Reply With Quote