View Single Post
Unread 15-11-2014, 07:28   #1
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

Default Belmond acquires 10 mk3 carriages

Quote:
It’s all aboard the tourism train as Ireland is set to get its very own Orient Express.

Dubbed the Belmond Grand Hibernian, the country’s first luxury overnight train is set to tour the magnificent countryside and coastal scenery of both the Republic and the North — but it’ll set you back a pretty penny.

Offering two-, four-, and six-night rail experiences, with a two-night all-inclusive stay costing €3,200, it has been confirmed that the sleeper train will visit key destinations in Cork, Dublin, and Belfast.

Daily excursions to tour historic estates, famous golf courses, and landmarks are also included in the price, as is food and drink.

Due to arrive in 2016, Belmond Ltd has already acquired 10 carriages from Irish Rail and is in the process of transforming them into luxury accommodation for up to 40 tourists.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...ss-297980.html

Couple of questions.

It doesn't mention other cities Limerick, Galway, Waterford or Kilkenny (though technically a town) etc just Dublin, Cork and Belfast so it appears this service will only be operating on the mainline/enterprise.

Will there be any reductions from services out of Heuston to accommodate this train?

How many times a day/week/month/year will this service run?

Will this train be making any stops at the larger towns on the mainline/Belfast line like Portlaoise, Thurles, Mallow, Dundalk and Drogheda and if so where will the train be parked up whilst the tourists are visiting these towns? (then again apart from Holycross Abbey which is a good 4 miles outside Thurles I can't think of many tourist attractions in the above mentioned towns)

It mentions sleeper cabins so will this train be operating late into the night or will it be parked up in Kent/Heuston/Connolly/Belfast?

I'm not against this service and I'd imagine most of us on here would welcome a service like this as long as it doesn't affect intercity/commuter services.

What's your thoughts/opinions?
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote