View Single Post
Unread 29-10-2013, 20:27   #34
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

I've just completed a round trip to Cork from Dublin, outward by train and back by coach. I expected to drive down and up so neither were planned much in advance.

Managed to buy a ticket for the last train down on Friday just 48 hours before for €14.99, so happy enough with this. No on-board ticket checker and gates open in Cork on arrival. Despite 4 stops, arrived 5 minutes early, in 2 hours 30 mins, so journey times do seem to have improved since I last used the service a few months ago.

With 24 hours notice for the return journey, decided I would try Aircoach on today's return, but as I could not neither book by 5pm the previous evening, nor had access to print out a ticket nor a smartphone, was looking at a walk on fare (60% more), but bus was full. Can't say I fancied the idea of sitting in a full coach for 3 hours much anyway.

Managed to book online for the next Gobus. Slightly more at €13 but much better than a rail walk on fare / on-line fare and no on-line transaction fee. Only about 30% full so a much more comfortable journey than the Aircoach would have been, and as good as the train would have been. Age profile of those on the Gobus was definitely higher than the Aircoach, perhaps not surprising given Aircoach's lower fare. Will be happy to use this again if I can't get a train ticket for the price I'm happy to pay.

Passed Heuston station after 2 hours and 45 minutes, and was at Busaras 15 minutes later.

Last edited by Eddie : 30-10-2013 at 08:52.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote