View Single Post
Unread 10-09-2014, 21:40   #33
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Does premium accommodation pay off on either route? As I pretty much live on the Sligo train which hasn't had first class for at least 15 years, I don't get to travel to Cork or Belfast often. But given that the extra cost for first class on either service seems to be less than double that for standard it seems unlikely that it is terribly worth their while to provide it, except possibly as a sop to the elusive "business traveler" which is a particularly endangered species these days.

What is utterly pointless is the alleged first class on the 22Ks. It would be better to not describe this as such at all as at least then it would be clear from the timetable which services had real first class. To me, a first class ticket means a bigger seat and perhaps some form of meal at seat service. The most important thing is the bigger seat and if that isn't part of the offering, then it is false advertising.

Back when they had it I used to almost always travel first class on the Sligo line. As there was no way to book it and it was only a £3 supplement anyway, it was relatively rare that the ticket collector got to check the ticket before Edgeworthstown. But I can't imagine Irish Rail ever made any money off it given that when the ticket collector made it, he generally ended up chucking out all but two or three people who were willing to pay the supplement. I guess that's why they did away with it.
On the busy trains ex Cork and Belfast its usually does ok. Middle of the day services not so much. The only ICR route that does any sort of decent business is direct Tralee service. Minimal uptake on other routes. I don't think you would get more than 50-60% loaded on any service however the fare revenue probably justifies the service on those 3 routes.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote