View Single Post
Unread 05-09-2014, 14:51   #21
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
The reduced Mk4 service on the Cork line needs 3 or 4 sets. There should be in principle 8 eight-coach sets in total (67 vehicles delivered which I think include a 9th DVT and 2 other spare vehicles).

In that case why not use 3 or 4 Mk4 sets on the Enterprise and save a load of money on refurbishing the DDs? I know the Mk4s will need some cosmetic refurbishment soon and a mid-life upgrade in 5 to 10 years time.

I quite realise that it's a bit too late to ask this question now, but does management ever think outside the box?

Maybe the inferior ride quality of the Mk4s combined with the inferior track quality of the Belfast line might put people off.
Currently 3 sets in operated, had being 5. Before the downturn 6 sets had being in operation and a spare set.

There is only 7 sets and a few spare coaches. They were build as 9 coach units so provided they have spare DVT/Frist class and/Dinning cart they could operate another.

The fleet was really only rebuilt 4-5 years ago by CAF because of the suspension problems so a overhaul is probably a long time off.

Guess we may see the end to M3 Parkway and Maynooth being 22s by Belfast taking over.

As for taking a Mark 4 set back into service when the change takes place IE didn't see the need when services spent 3 months having reduced capacity earlier this year so 18 months won't make any difference.....they could review services and possibly make cuts if needed either. There should be a timetable by year end. Anything is possible!

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 05-09-2014 at 15:09.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote