View Single Post
Unread 08-12-2012, 16:12   #62
Alan French

Default Galway and Westport line

I'm sending in some responses to the timetable consultation. Before I reply for the Westport line, can anyone work out how the trains are likely to be rostered? There are 5 trains a day from Westport but only 4 the other way. Presumably the new 09.45 from Westport returns attached to either the 14.45 or the 18.15 from Dublin. If there is any empty running, it should be opened up to passegers.
But what about the 09.08 Athlone-Westport? Where does it fit in? In my workplace there are often meetings and conferences in Tullamore, starting at 09.30 or 10.00. Those coming from Dublin used to find the 08.25 train useful for this, before it was withdrawn in 2009.
Instead of the proposed 09.08 Athlone-Westport, I reckon it should be possible to run a train at 08.10 from Dublin to Westport, serving Tullamore about 09.10 and Athlone about 09.35. Crossings would be at Geashill, Clara (where it can't stop) and Ballyhaunis (instead of Claremorris). Does this look practical?
The new 17.20 from Galway is welcome; that 3-hour gap was always a nuisance. It is also suits the events at Tullamore described above; it was always a rush to get to the station for 16.33 or else wait for 3 hours.
Alan French is offline   Reply With Quote