View Single Post
Unread 13-07-2010, 15:42   #13
karlr42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Listened to it and its not clear

1. How the scumbags accessed the train is unclear, it was through the offside cab door, which should have been locked

2. After gaining entry the secure luggage area in the control car was emptied. The door between the luggage and first class area is a security door as previously it was used to carry mail

3. The passenger area remained secure. From the video I have a single window in the first class coach/control car was damaged but intact. The secondman side windscreen on the control car had damage from several rocks thrown at it

4. Usual incompetent delivery of information in Connolly, staff standing around not knowing what was going on and a information display saying the train was on time.

5. How the train was brought to a halt in the first place is question the line is in a curve at the point in question so the driver wouldn't have a clear line of sight and certainly wouldn't be able to stop
The RTE report doesn't shed very much more light on it:
Quote:
The driver stopped the train and the group then set his cab on fire.

The driver locked the doors on the train so the attackers were not able to get onboard. However, they did steal several pieces of luggage.
As regards the offside door, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was unlocked- I often see trains coming out of Pearse with the cab doors for cabs sandwiched in a formation wide open from the driver having changed ends, and the interior cab doors don't seem to be locked either in my experience.
karlr42 is offline   Reply With Quote