View Single Post
Unread 18-09-2014, 20:41   #33
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
It was the closure of Connolly valeting plant for servicing ICRs I have the problem with as it makes rostering sets far more difficult and is part of the reason for the sight of ICRs on local services and 29k on Intercity trips.
I completely agree, I see no real reasoning why it was done and IE spent a lots of money upgrading the facility in Drogheda to handle the 22. Now I can't see any savings being achieved.

If you ask me it was an excuse to allow 22's operate the Commuter routes. ( I know some sets were got for this).

Quote:
Well there is a dirty great tank with "20,000 litre Diesel Tank" written on it at the end of platform 1 in Connolly so I guess there must be the equivalent in Heuston. It would be too stupid even for Irish Rail to be sending a train on a 60 mile round trip to get enough fuel for 1000 miles.

The situation out of Connolly must be even worse as by my reckoning there must be 4 sets overnighting in Sligo, as the 1505, 1600, 1705 & 1905 all arrive after (or just as) the last up-train leaves.

There were a lot of stupid decisions made by Irish Rail (and others) during the Celtic Tiger but there is very little can be done about them.
They have full fueling facilities on platforms 2-8 in Heuston as well as Limerick, Cork and Galway.

The number of units in Sligo overnight compares to most terminus stations.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote