Thread: Maps anyone?
View Single Post
Unread 15-02-2007, 00:32   #10
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by losexpectation View Post
how do you get the rail lines on that?
Make sure you use Yahoo.com and not Yahoo.co.uk. Use the broadband (New or Beta edition) and not the dial-up. You should be able to see all the intercity and freight railways.
I'm currently working in California for a few months so maybe it's not possible to access these maps back in Europe??

Thomas, I see your point but I still think it would be nice to have a good collection of maps. Burning maps/history seems like propaganda to me
I'd prefer if everybody was making a case for their own local railway than a complete lack of debate. I don't believe any of us on this board should be deciding what the Irish people should and shouldn't have as a rail network - we discuss and give our opinions, not force them on commuters. Sorry, I'm getting a bit carried away here

The thing is this: if people see the way things were and can compare them with the way things are then I believe people would be more prepared to question the status quo, as in IE, the RPA and the Government's notion of what the future of Irish rail travel should be. We should also be self-critical and add P11 to that list, nobody's perfect. I know those old lines were far from the complexity of today's modern railways, but their existence allows people today to imagine how things could have been.
Looking at a detailed map (e.g. showing single or dual track) of the current railway network allows people to imagine many possibilities such as regional commuter networks. A picture truly is worth a thousand words and is always more effective than a statement from any group. Galway and Cork urban commuter services should look more obvious. People may wonder why bother spending E200 million building the WRC to Sligo - why not just set up a direct train Galway-Athlone-Mullingar-Sligo as soon as Athlone-Mullingar is opened? Why aren't the Sligo and Galway lines double-tracked? Why do we have no electrified intercity lines? The idea behind the availability of good maps is that it allows for lots of questions and ideas to be put forward and sensible solutions to be found. I believe in power to the people and all that malarky, not confining people power to a select minority on a users' board. Oops, I've gone too far again haven't I?

This was initially a general question but I now agree with Thomas that it might now be an infrastructural topic.

I'll shutup now!