View Single Post
Unread 02-03-2014, 13:50   #40
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
I didn't say anything about the Sligo timetable being inefficient - I was referring to what rolling stock operates what trains. The problem is that there is not enough money to run all of the trains - that's the reality the company faces, and that means some of the trains being operated by a pool of stock - ICR and 29k.

The main problem with the ICRs in Connolly is that they are now maintained in Drogheda and not in Connolly anymore - this reduces maintenance budgets but means that the rostering is far more inflexible, as trains have to go to Drogheda for servicing.

I don't see any problem in having two drivers in Longford - would you prefer they go back to taxiing them from Connolly again? Having the local based drivers makes far more sense.

The only issue I have with the Sligo route is that one set remains in Sligo from 18:00 one day until 11:00 the next, which again reduces the availability of ICRs. That would be solved be returning to the old timetable pattern with a 07:05 and 09:05 from Dublin and a 17:00 and 19:00 from Sligo.

Ultimately a timetable change is the only way of better matching sets with services, but I suspect that you will still have some oddball workings.
They do have the 22's available for the service, they were able to spare 2"3 piece sets before the fleet changed.

I'm sure a taxi service for one of the drivers to Maynooth would be more efficient than running services such as the 17.15 to Longford.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote