View Single Post
Unread 03-12-2013, 20:22   #35
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
That must be where our 22k went to for the 1805 to Longford. Gumble grumble.

I agree that any service going more than an hour from Dublin should be operated as 22k instead of a 29k. I saw somebody complaining on boards.ie about bicycles blocking the exits on a 22k operating a Docklands service. For God's sake what are they doing using a 22k for this service?

I know there are all kinds of arguments about schedules and the need to rotate rolling stock up to Drogheda for maintenance but this is messing with everyone. The shorter distance services are more comfortable for everybody operated with 29Ks while the longer distance ones are more comfortable with 22Ks.

Irish Rail need to cop on and do the same as every other rail operator in the planet and properly divide local and longer-distance traffic which have vastly different rolling stock requirements.
The real problem is what you've alluded to in the middle paragraph, i.e. getting the sets to Drogheda for maintenance and returning them to Connolly in time to get back in service. It's also not helped by one 22k being in Sligo from 1800 in the evening until 1100 the next morning. That reduces options significantly.

They ultimately need a new timetable to be able to roster the sets more appropriately, and also recast driver rosters where appropriate. That's something that will happen in the spring I'd imagine.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote