View Single Post
Unread 03-07-2007, 16:50   #7
packetswitch

Alas it wasn't really (Mr. Packetswitch having not eaten all day had a delightful baguette jambon stringy et fromage chewy a la microwavey packet from the snack car), although the nice lady at the snack car said that she thought that full meals were available on 'afternoon and evening' trains. To be fair the timetable only refers to morning meals (ex Dublin) so I don't think they were breaking any promises. On the other hand the guy with the trolley said that there was nothing in the snack car that he didn't have, which was entirely untrue, but it could have been a language issue (English vs halting English).

I wonder what the point of the €11.50 upgrade is if you might get a meal service or might not? i.e. if I'd been on the six o'clock train (same price for first) I would have had the added advantage the meal service; while I don't think it's reasonable to charge an arm and a leg for the privilege of being able to order, it still seems a little odd.

Anyway, I did have my laptop, and I copied out the current menu, just in case any of you are interested!

Sausage & Bacon Baguette 6.95
A crisp baguette filled with Irish sausage and bacon

Ham & Emmenthal Baguette 6.95
A crisp baguette filled with Irish ham and melted Swiss cheese

Soup of the Day (v) 4.95
Hot fresh soup served with wholemeal bread and butter

Irish Oak Smoked Salmon Platter 14.50
Smoked Irish salmon served with wholemeal bread and butter and a salad

Bacon and Cabbage 15.75
Tender slices of boiled Irish gammon with cabbage, stuffing, topped with parsley sauce and served with vegetables and potato

Breast of Irish Chicken stuffed with Clonakilty Pudding 15.75
Pan roasted breast of Irish chicken with Clonakilty pudding, mustard and honey stuffing served with vegetables and potato

Baked Couscous with Spinach and Feta Cheese (v) 13.95
With a hint of garlic, chilli and ginger and glazed with mozzarella, feta cheese and red peppers

Cheese Platter (v) 9.95
A selection of five Irish farmhouse cheese, carefully chosen to be at their seasonal peak served with fruit chutney and wholemeal bread and butter

Mid Morning/Afternoon Snack 5.25
Two hot buttered scones served with jam and a pot of tea or coffee