View Single Post
Unread 27-05-2006, 02:05   #73
Graham
New to the board

A few weeks ago on the 17.13 from Pearse to Dundalk (is that considered Intercity, though perhaps not given the 2900 Commuter milk cartons), all was fine (well, as fine as a 2900 journey can be) until we got about five miles outside Dundalk when the train stopped in the middle of a field. We stood like gombeens for about 7 minutes with no announcement, until we saw some activity outside: IÉ orange jackets walking by the carriages down below. About a minute later, an IÉ man, probably the driver, came into the carriage and right up to the doors I was standing beside. He then scanned them for a few seconds - there were 'not in operation' stickers or something like that on the doors. He then said out loud that everyone was to stay away from the door in case it opened, which needless to say was followed by a mass shuffling of feet over to the other side of the car . The train got on its way again - no announcement was made for all of the other passengers.

I had noted as this motorised yoghurt pot, I mean 2900, was pulling into Pearse that the access lights over the doors on this car were red, while all others were the usual orange. How was this fault not spotted before leaving the station? And if it was, why was it let go all the way to Dundalk - what is probably the most overcrowded train in all of Ireland?
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote