View Single Post
Unread 23-11-2007, 08:50   #3
spuncy
New to the board

I think Lambo is trying to say that the train will now be fuller by the time it reaches Mullingar, so we have less chance of a seat. In my experience, whenever I have taken the 8.44 from Mullingar (Sligo-Connolly), I have been standing all the way.

The Longford train is currently an 8 carriage train and usually has people standing from Maynooth. Will the train from Sligo be a 10 carriage train or something? How will it have extra capacity (from a Mullingar commuter's point of view)?

The earlier arrival is also a myth, since most people taking this train disembark at Tara St. or Pearse. On arrival into Connolly, we will have a 13 minute wait to get further southbound, negating the benefits of direct from Maynooth.

I think a lot of Mullingar commuters are aggrieved at the service, which has been going way down in the last few years. I know everyone is having issues with IE, but specifically for me is the fact that I pay 2.5 times as much for my ticket as a Maynooth person, yet get far less trains - no early trains to get to 8am "breakfast meetings", no late trains, the last of which leaves at 7pm. Also, no access to all the inner hop stations with our point-to-point tickets etc.. In fact, I almost look forward to the cramped conditions from Maynooth-Pearse so that the carriage warms up a bit! (I used to drive up and take the train from Clonsilla in, so I know how frustratingly annoying it is to have to stand in cramped conditions, though)
spuncy is offline   Reply With Quote