Thread: Baby on board
View Single Post
Unread 04-06-2010, 16:24   #9
Oisin88

Last week I carried my 6 month old daughter on my knee on a TGV train journey the length of France! She only slept for about 30 minutes, the rest was spent entertaining her, walking around, showing her the 3 dogs in the carriage, and bringing her upstairs because she was shouting (and we were booked into seats in the quiet carriage!)

One thing I noticed about people with babies on Irish Rail is the sheer unpredictability of temperatures on board. Babies optimum temperature is 16-20 degrees, but in Summer Irish Rail seem to like to leave the heat on, and heat is one thing that can make a baby really howl!

I think if I had to bring the baby on the train I would go for carrying her, and folding up the pram. The car seat thing wouldn't work for most journeys, and they are way too heavy to lug around. Considering how long my daughter would stay in a pram that wasn't being pushed, I would be wasting my time looking for the wheelchair space, but if it was free I would probably take it.

If you are going to bring a baby on a train on a regular basis, you probably want the lightest one you could get. We have some sort of McLaren sport (not sure which, pramology is the wifes specialty) which is only 7kg and easy to drag around.

Hope this is useful.

Oisín