View Single Post
Unread 18-09-2008, 16:14   #2
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsheff View Post
Hi

I get the 6.30 portlaoise to Heuston train every morning (its one of the new ones)....I 've noticed that it always auto-announces that the train is going to stop at Clondalkin...which is followed by the driver announcing that the train WONT be stopping there!!

Also in the past few mornings the announcement message seems to play really slow when it names the station....brings a smile to everybody's face!

Then after work I get the 6.05 train back to Portlaoise. 2 mins prior to boarding there is an announcement telling people who are not intending to travel to get off the train....I dont know of anybody who gets on the train not intending to travel?? You have to show your ticket prior to boarding..so this announcement is a bit pointless/stupid.

Also up until recently it announced that the first stop was "Hundred" ....obviously they mean Adamstown! there was one day where the driver said afterwards that "hundred is computerspeak for Adamstown"

I think its a bit of a joke that IR cant even get the announcements right on these trains...they are new so they had to know what the routes were prior to loading the data into them.

anybody else heard any other poor quality announcements from IR?
Aside from the quality of IRs announcements, which are a joke, I've often been on a train when not intending to travel. If you're seeing an elderly relative off, or someone with a lot off luggage, you're often allowed board the train with them and make sure they get settled OK. Besides which, my annual ticket allows me through the turnstiles at Connolly anyway, so I can easily do it there.

Mind you, I've always been sure to be off the train at least 5 minutes before it's due to go.
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote