View Single Post
Unread 05-05-2008, 20:22   #50
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Vanderjuice View Post
A touchy subject, but I believe there's little love lost between the Airport Police and certain elements of the Gardaí (who are of the opinion that they have no right to be called police).
That sounds like a turf war to be honest. Where were the detectives when the Bank of Ireland in Dublin Airport was robbed? All back at their home stations clocking off before the next shift clocked on (at the time most of the garda contingent in the airport was seconded from other stations).
Quote:
That's one reason why I think a transport force would be better off integrated with the Gardaí (perhaps subject to safeguards like preventing too many officers being dragged off transport duties to do other things).
I'm not sure if I mind whether thay are part fo the garda or not, but at the very least a transport police would need railway safety training and equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2637 View Post
Sorry, totally off topic, but aren't airport police armed??
No, the airport police, while having many of the powers of a garda are much more resticted in other areas - they can arrest, but they can't detain, that is the prisoner must be handed over to the garda immediately. There job is focused on the port / airport they deal with. They have familiarity with the location and tasks that an ordinary garda wouldn't, but need to delegate more sophisticated tasks.
Quote:
But back on topic... I still think the best way to stop fare evasion is through increased on board inspections, not the entry/exit validation route that IE seem hellbent on persuing.
On board checks are very hard to do at peak times. A balance has to be struck.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote