View Single Post
Unread 14-02-2008, 19:31   #10
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Question: Will it be busier inbound or outbound in the Morning Rush?
Given that the city centre and the Nass Road areas are the two prime destinations, why would it be busier outbound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Condron View Post
What is the actually story regarding tunnel widths, forgetting about the station platforms at the moment, can the tunnels cater for wider trams?
I imagine the difference in cost beteen the two tunnel sizes is relatively modest in terms of overall cost. If larger vehicles are used later, the smaller vehicles can be cascaded onto other lines

Quote:
Surely in this day and age it is possible to have platform edges which automatically extend to meet the tram? In New York when the two subway systems were combined, automatic ramps were installed so that trains from the narrower system could use stations from the wider system. Some stations still have them.
I imagine it is better to operate with a single fleet. Designing the platform edges such that they can be changed over say a weekend closure in a "Big Bang" changeover would be desireable, although the familiarisation training of drivers on the new vehicles for the characteristics of that section of track might be an issue. Basic training of the drivers on the vehicles could be done somehwere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undo View Post
It's interesting you should mention the overhead wire. That reminds me how proper metro systems normally use third rail, not overhead - for the very reason that it allows smaller diameter tunnels to be bored, reducing costs.
Aren't new third rail systems banned on safety grounds?