View Single Post
Unread 14-09-2009, 21:18   #2
Traincustomer

An interesting point. Having done this walk twice this year - on both occasions arriving by train - once to the ferry and once for the Dublin Express coach to return homewards, it does take around seven minutes or so. The station is on the very edge of what is considered the port area, beside the Bus Éireann Garage. Perhaps "Rosslare Harbour" would be more apt.

Curiously timetables for Bus Éireann routes 002, 003, 040, 132, 385 and 890 use "Rosslare Harbour" though BÉ would be fully justified in using "Rosslare Europort" as the coach bays are immediately in front of the terminal.

Thankfully, both occasions were calm and dry; even as a user-enthusiast I wouldn't enjoy the walk in the rain and wind.

The reasons that were cited for moving the station have certain validity but suggest a general lack of confidence amongst the powers that be in the whole area of rail-ferry integration.

The negative attitude/explanation of ah sure not that many people use the train to/from the ferry is not helpful, at the end of the day people are using it and it is a public service; if one doesn't like that way of travel they don't need to use it.

Personally I feel that the tracks should be reinstated at the terminal, though I can't see this happening.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote