View Single Post
Unread 04-08-2006, 22:31   #6
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Any regular visitor to this site will know that both Derek and myself are long-time Dublin supporters and i still stand on the hill.

The best and most fondly rememberd incident of Dublin supporters aggrivating a train was when the energency cord was pulled on the way back form Wexford some years back. There was a special with no drink on, and the regular service with a bar. Guess which one had the energincy cord pulled?

I posted on the old board about my experiance with the 1999 leauge final in Cork, special train on the way down was strictly enforeced drink free AND WAS ADVERTISED AS SUCH. There were a lot of families on that train. All the regular services to cork ran with bars open, everyone eho wanted to get drunk duely did so. On the way back, everyone, including the drunks, those with no tickets and those carrying big flagons of cider, were allowed onto the so-called drink free special train. It was chaos, and so was Connolly, where the temporary ramps to the DART platforms nearly collapsed.

There are no drinks allowed on trains to Kilkenny. Wonder why. A small bottle of Bud is over €4 on a train and they know they will drink the bar dry when there is a football match.

Oh, just to show it's not just the Dubs. John 3:16 had his famous board ripped off of him and thrown out of a train window. It was Tipp -v- Clare.

IE sell drink on intercity trains. They allow people to bring on as much drink as they like, after getting jarred in the bars in Connolly and Heuston. If the owner of a pub allowed thay he would be summonsed to the local district court. IE only sell it to print money off it. Maybe with the new DMU's it'll change, doubt it, though.