View Single Post
Unread 17-02-2010, 09:52   #3
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

It does get a bit unreasonable at times, but you do need to consider that a lot of people on the longer commutes can't really manage without getting some work done on the train due to the lack of late evening trains.

From the opposite perspective, I use a laptop on a daily commute from Edgeworthstown to Connolly. There is no problem in fitting a standard 15" laptop onto 1/4 of a table on a 22k so there is rarely any grief. If I need paperwork as well which is rarely, I'll generally clear up at Enfield in the morning where the train starts to get busy.

On a 29k the tables are a bit small for even a laptop and I don't think it unreasonable that whoever gets on the train first gets dibs on the table.

There are a lot of other annoyances on the train such as people putting handbags or carrier bags on tables on any train, half consumed cups of coffee on the table that somebody else has to clear up, people playing music, testing ringtones, drinking cans, smoking in the toilets, screaming children, smelly people, wrong temperature - the list goes on. I think people trying to get a bit of work done is fairly far down the list. My normal response if I see something I can't deal with is to sit somewhere else.

If you start getting pissed off with everything and you are spending 3.5 hours a day on the train you aren't going to stay sane for very long.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote