View Single Post
Unread 08-10-2010, 17:53   #2
Kilkea
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiebean22 View Post
Are they ever going to do anything about these delays? Every single train journey is delayed either going into Carlow station or leaving it.

Last night for instance we sat in Carlow station for nearly 25 minutes, no explanation, nothing (what's new there?), then as soon as a train pulled up at the other platform we pulled away shortly afterwards. Is there any explanation for these delays and are they doing anything to remedy this?

Also, can someone explain the 5 minute stop in Kilkenny station, what is this for? It seems to me to just be a smoking break for the drivers? It can be very frustrating when the train is delayed anyway that you then have to sit in Kilkenny station while the IE employees hop off for a smoke.

I know these probably seem like little issues but when there are delays every single day in the same spots I don't understand how it's not simple to just come up with a solution that will serve rail users?
Athy to Carlow stretch is a single track, so the train had to wait at Carlow to allow the incoming train to clear the line. However, Athy is only about 10 mins from Carlow, so if IE used their heads they could have held the incoming train at Athy and let your train get to Athy first....but that would take common sense.

Kilkenny is the most ridiculous train set up ever designed. To have a train have to come into the station, then turn around and go back out the same way is crazy. Surely they could have reloacted the station over the past few years out of its current location to somewhere with through traffic?
As far as I know to change the train to go the opposite direction is something which can be done instantly by the driver, the only delay should be his/her walk from one cab to the other.
Kilkea is offline   Reply With Quote