View Single Post
Unread 17-07-2010, 04:48   #30
ThomasJ

so we may have an idea of why luggage left the train
http://www.u.tv/News/Rioters-tried-t...1-bcfea086550e

Quote:
Rioters "tried to firebomb" Lurgan train
Rioters who attacked a train in Lurgan on July 12 were only prevented from firebombing it by a community worker trying to save passengers, it has emerged.

Thursday, 15 July 2010
TAGS: LOCAL NEWS
Footage showed the man throwing luggage from the train - they were actually soaked in petrol and, minutes later, he confronted a man with a five gallon drum of diesel in his hands.

The man - who did not want to be identified - told UTV a rioter wanted to let those on board the train burn.

"I told him there were women and children on the train," he said.

Article Continues
"He (the rioter) said 'Let them burn' - this person was intent on killing everybody on the train with no regard for their lives."

There were 55 passengers of all ages on the Dublin-bound Enterprise train when it was surrounded by a mob who blocked its path, on the line close to the Kilwilkie estate - a dissident republican stronghold.

The community worker described seeing one woman who "just looked terrified".

The passengers, staff and the driver had locked themselves in a carriage. They were so terrified the rioters would board the train, the community worker had to persuade them he was on their side before he could gain access to where they were.

Speaking about those responsible, the man said: "They were quite willing to kill anybody on board. No regard for human life whatsoever.

"There were people who were completely innocent. There were women and children. People had no regard for life whatsoever."

He managed to convince the driver to move the train and stayed with him until it reached Portadown.

Sinn Fein representative for the area John O'Dowd said there was no doubt dissident republicans were behind it.

"Some of the known faces in the area were there.

"I think that people were dragged into situations once the trouble flared who may not have sympathies with the dissidents."

The DUP's Stephen Moutray added: "But for the work of a community worker, there could have been mass murder on the railway line and not for the first time."

© UTV News
backing this up a comment on the bbc news website
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern+ireland-10627977

Quote:
My two adult daughters and I were passengers on board the 1610 train from Belfast to Dublin on Monday. Just south of Belfast, the train was stopped by people blocking the tracks. We didn't know this initially, but started to wonder what was happening as we saw a small crowd of people gathering on either side of the tracks and looking toward the front of the train. Two men passed through our car with grease-stained hands and arms (and some said with blood on their hands, but I didn't see that). One was talking on a phone, saying that the train had been hijacked. By this time, the train had begun moving again. As we passed the crossing where people were gathered, we saw young men wearing masks over their faces. What we did not see at any time was any sign of a police presence. Shortly after the train resumed moving, a conductor passed through our car and told me that protesters had thrown bricks and petrol bombs at the engine, that the two men that passed through our car were members of the community who had jumped into the fray to disarm the situation, that the train was under the control of the railway, and that we were safe. At the next station, when we left the train, we passed the engine. Half of the front windshield was shattered in several places, one side window was also shattered, the window of the door to enter the engine was completely broken out, there were signs of fire inside the cab, and scorching on the front of the engine.

James Grant, Belfast
100% agreement with on the move great post, by the sounds of things, what we have heard today sounds genuine based on what irish rail have said and a major "mass murder" event has been averted
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote