View Single Post
Unread 13-02-2006, 21:21   #24
TomB

Default Curtains

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX
I was on the 9:00pm service Dublin-Cork on Friday (03/02/2006). The train, a mark 3, boarded and departed approximately 10 mins late for no apparent reason. However, Heuston staff did make an announcment appologising for the delayed boarding etc.

The "fun" started after boarding.
I had a similar experience meself...

Was sitting near the front of the train, just behind the 1st class (non-citygold section)

It was the same 9am service, but on Tuesday (7/2/06)

Train left 10 mins late, but the best bit was a guy arrived on at 5 past 9 with a supermac's bag full of fried goodies. *and* he had an IE uniform on. He went up to talk to his fellow jobsworths, and the muppets had left the mike on again, because we could all hear the slagging that he was getting over some IE staff night out.

Presumably as the IE guy arrived late he knew that it wasn't going to depart on time (unless the train was waiting for him?). I do try my best to relax when on an intercity run but I have to admit this is hindered by the thought that IE have put more padding in their timetable than a wonderbra just so some of their more juvenile staff can feck around and take the piss.

My mood was mollified somewhat by the charming non-Irish trolley lady (I agree completely with the comments that the non-Irish IE staff are way more professional than their Irish equivalents btw) -- there was a guy in front of me who decided to sit in standard class, primarily because he could get a seat of 4 to himself. But he had a first class ticket, and perhaps because he hadn't travelled 1st class before, he innocently enquired of the trolley lady were there any benefits to actually travelling 1st class.

There being no in-seat catering that day (surprise!), she thought for a second before replying: "Curtains". Class...
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote