View Single Post
Unread 18-10-2011, 21:42   #8
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
I'd be almost 100% certain the train was on time and left no earlier than the published time. The signaling record I have would tend to confirm this.

Once the doors are closed they are closed. In the Athlone case on the main platform the driver is on the wrong side Dublin bound so once the signal is given he swaps back to the driving side and takes off

You are advised to be at the platform 2 minutes before departure at the very least.

I have had long discussions with managers about the need to depart exactly on time and not to hang around, seconds count.
I wouldn't overly rely on the signalling system for an accurate time of departure as the signalling system will at best record the time at which the train occupied the first track circuits east of Athlone. I know of at least one smart ass manager who berated a particular station master for not despatching services in a timely manner only to be subsequently embarassed by his failure to understand what the time stamps meant - they were at least 90 secs after actual departure.

No train should leave a station ahead of the publically advertised time which should be the latest time at which a passenger can board. If passengers are expected to be on the platform two minutes before departure, the public timetable should show a departure two minutes ahead of the working timetable, a practice which ensures punctuality while minimising the potential for disputes.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote