Unread 27-05-2015, 19:52   #11
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Current layout (track layout may not be up to date.):
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,586544,639080,11,3
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/31...50150/-8.19942

Limerick Junction
* Platform 1 - 318.2 metres
* Platform 2 (Bay) - 276.1 metres (note: can also be worked as two separate 90 metre platforms)
* Platform 3 - 166.4 metres

I think cross-platform access is important. It would be useful to know what percentage of passengers are transfer passengers. I suspect there are a lot more of them that passengers starting / finishing at LJ.

Putting in lifts and a bridge would probably cost in the order of €300,000. I'll put a number on a platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACustomer View Post
As for a Waterford bay on the down side, the track geometry (i.e. the acute angle of the crossing between the Waterford and Cork lines), make this virtually impossible.
Hardly. There is no obligation to have the platforms perfectly parallel. One simply puts in a 4-car platform near the new Cork-bound platform.

Quote:
A second bay platform alongside the existing one would be relatively simple and would enable greater flexibility of operation of Waterford trains and would make through Waterford-Limerick operations much easier.
You might be dealing with a wonky™ crossing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
I presume having a V-shaped platform is also out as there would be safety issues involved in terminating just before crossing the mainline.

The only real options would seem to be a V-shape with a terminating track (which would preclude through-running trains at a later date, or the ludicrously expensive idea of grade-separating the tracks.
Works perfectly well at Howth Junction.

Quote:
I would be surprised if there was any investment at all in the Waterford line. There are too many doubts over its future, which could make an investment worthless. Of course, without any real investment, it is doomed to closure eventually.
Spending loads of money on something isn't always the best investment. Investing smaller amounts smartly could be a lot more useful.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 27-05-2015 at 20:01.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote