View Single Post
Unread 13-01-2007, 09:27   #4
Rashers
Really Regular Poster

Default 1713 Pearse - Dundalk

That service must be one of the most crowded services on the network. Unless the 1650 Connolly-Belfast, which now calls at Dundalk, relieves some of the pressure off the 1713 service, I think stopping the 1713 at any more stations would just make things worse. It might mean that Dundalk/Drogheda passengers would simply not get on the service at Connolly.
I would like to see some northbound services terminate at the likes of Skerries (which has a working siding), and head back into town (possibly empty, or as an express) for the evening peak to relieve some of the pressure.
The 1707 ex Connolly terminates at Balbriggan @ 1745. This forms the 1807 Balbriggan to Pearse arriving it at 18.49. If they did something similar with an earlier service, say around 1650 ex Connolly (I know it would clash with the Belfast Enterprise), and cut the turnaround time (from the exisiting 22 mins to 5 mins), this could lead to the service arriving back into Pearse @ 18.15, which catches the tail end of the evening peak.
It's the usual supply situation - A Pearse to Drogheda service is 50% empty by Balbriggan (note: this may still mean every seat is taken). If you terminated this service there, ran it back into town, he might help relieve the overcrowding on the peak services.
However, I think on this one, IE are in a bit of a no win situation. Until someone can press IE to extend the DART to Balbriggan, ahead of the interconnector being built, this problem will only worsen.
Rashers is offline   Reply With Quote