View Single Post
Unread 26-08-2009, 17:40   #11
Cllr Joe Ryan
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
Joe,

I realise that you're a Wexford Town Councillor, so this is a little outside your scope, but if there's to be hope of retaining and expanding services on the line, you probably need to get Wexford County Council to start looking at the work done by Cork County Council on the Midleton line.

This involved rezoning lands along the railway line and treating the line a a strategic development corridor for commuting. At the moment, the stations betweem Rosslare and Waterford serve a series of small villages, which find it hard to provide the commuter base for a viable service.

Now, if they were small towns, it might be a different issue.

In Cork, two pretty substantial towns had to be developed on the route, but the situation in Wexford may be slightly easier as the line is already open, so shouldn't require the same level of investment.

The question is whether the locals would accept turning their villages into towns to retain the rail services.

Still, someone in Wexford should be putting that question out there.
Completely accept the points you make in some cases calling the villages are moe like hamlets.
A year ago when the town plan was in preparation I spoke about the need for goods and argued for zoning of land outside the town on the by-pass where a new goods yard should be located and that a new station be built on the surplus land here in town. I wasn't listened to then but in view of the economic reality since in particular in relation to freight and hte haulage industry its an idea worth pushing.
Cllr Joe Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote