View Single Post
Unread 08-07-2007, 20:48   #10
richards
New to the board

Default CDE First Thoughts!

Used the CDE for the first time this weekend!

Went 1st class on Friday on the 12:00 service. Thought it was good if not a bit expensive for what you get. The coach was clean and yes the seat reserved displays were working. Arrived in Cork at 14:40 so that was a 2:40 hrs journey.
Was overall impressed. I suspect the ride issues are more to do with the track as opposed to the carriages. The track from Dublin to Portlaoise does not seem to be great. Was much smoother on fast sections of track between Thurlas and Mallow (which I think was the last section of the line which was replaced in the later 80's and early 90's)

The return journey was not as good (15:30 hrs). The seat displays were not working and some woman who worked for IE was running around checking tickets ensuring that people has seats etc. not very professional.

Was surprised that there was no trolley / waiter service on Sunday. Surely in this day and age, IE could provide a bit more of a service. The trains are quite busy on Sunday afternoons so surely theres money to be made. I was also supposed at the number of people who paid for an upgrade on to the citygold coach. It's not cheap, yet you get a marginally nicer seat and no waiter service.

The train seemed to crawl between Naas\Sallins to Heuston. We stopped for about 5 Min's outside Celbridge. An announcement came on apologizing for the delay claiming there were problems with the 'Signals' and that we should be moving a minute or so. We arrived at 18:25 which was an overall time of 2:55 Min's which is very slow for Cork Dublin.

Overall the CDE has the potential to be a very good service. IE need do small thinks such as
Get the reserved seating digital signs working
Open the boarding sooner
Priority Boarding for Citygold?
Better facilities for Sunday Catering

and the the longer term,
re-engineer the track for faster journeys to compete with the car.